Jonathan Niese ... slow start or cut-able?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
bamse31

Jonathan Niese ... slow start or cut-able?

#1 Post by bamse31 »

With today's performance, one has to ask what is up with J. Niese? Is he injured? Velocity down? What? I have not been able to watch him pitch, but his stats are killing me.

Should I just bench him until he looks better or cut him for Edwin Jackson, M. Feirs, J. Nicasio, J. Saunders, J. Williams, L.Harrell, E. Stultz, or other fodder?

16 team mixed 5x5 h2h ... The pickings are slim. I just need someone who won't hurt me too bad.

Thank you for your advice.

Captain Hook

Re: Jonathan Niese ... slow start or cut-able?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

bamse31 wrote:With today's performance, one has to ask what is up with J. Niese? Is he injured? Velocity down? What? I have not been able to watch him pitch, but his stats are killing me.

Should I just bench him until he looks better or cut him for Edwin Jackson, M. Feirs, J. Nicasio, J. Saunders, J. Williams, L.Harrell, E. Stultz, or other fodder?

16 team mixed 5x5 h2h ... The pickings are slim. I just need someone who won't hurt me too bad.

Thank you for your advice.
I am not aware of any injury so let's look at this
Year . ERA WHIP
2010 .4.20 .1.46
2011 .4.40 .1.41
2012 .3.40 .1.17

Which one was different?
Frankly I never as good as my fantasy buds did but at least Niese had a 7+ K/9
This year it is below 5/9 and the ERA and RATIO?
2013 .5.95 .1.71

So I guess my answer is that if you want his numbers from 2010/11 then you should keep him - IF you can find someone who will give you a chance to be better then time to let him go

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Just saw this from KFFL this morning

New York Mets SP Jonathon Niese (neck) has been pitching through a neck ailment that may have altered his arm slot and caused him to lose velocity. The issue flared up after his start April 28. He has allowed 15 runs in two starts since then.

I still think if I owned him (which I don't and that is a lot of leagues) I would only be counting on him for 2010/11 numbers and not 2012

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Sorry, late to the party.

Niese pitched BETTER in 2011 than he did in 2012.

2010 xFIP 3.80
2011 xFIP 3.28
2012 xFIP 3.64

His K/9 have been 7.7, 7.9, 7.3
His BB/9 have been 3.2, 2.5, 2.3

With two consecutive years of a reduced walk rate without giving much back in the way of K's, Niese was one of my favorite back end targets this spring. There was a very legit to expect a 3.50 ERA.

The problem (if we believe Niese is being forthright) is his peripherals were off even before the April 28 game.

I'm benching him in mixed leagues until he shows his K and BB rates are near his 3-year average. I'll also sit him in NL NFBC Auction this week (@ STL) which means he'll go 7 with 8 K's and 2 BB's.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

Niese pitched better today against the Cardinals so there is hope

bamse31

#6 Post by bamse31 »

You called it ... Or close enough ... 7.1ip, 2 earned, 3Ks, 1.09whip