Edinson Volquez

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
bxm701

Edinson Volquez

#1 Post by bxm701 »

What are people's thoughts on Volquez? How useful will he be going forward?

Captain Hook

Re: Edinson Volquez

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

I was asked about Volquez last night on Sirius radio and I said that personally I don't see him - as he is throwing and acting now - returning to the flash we saw a few years ago when he first landed in Cincinnati

Now actual value varies - league size, context, reserve rules etc......he can be a useful pitcher in leagues where strikeouts are a category but not until he is throwing better in my opinion......put it this way, I likely play in more leagues than you do and he is not on any of my teams, so I didn't view him as highly as a lot of competitors (and on draft day there is a point where I would have taken him but it just never happened)

RobDMay

#3 Post by RobDMay »

I have him in NFBC and it has been frustrating to have him, you watch the 1st inning implosions every start and then he teases you into starting him again by pitching 4-5 pretty decent innings after that. As of right now he is on my bench until I see him get thru a 1s inning with tanking my WHIP and ERA for the day.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Never been a Volquez guy, even pre-injury.

His BB/9, even in his good 2008 season was too high. He got by that year because of a low HR/9.

He is sort of a strange pitcher in that he is a ground ball guy but his HR/9 was always high, because his HR/FB was high. He always had the POTENTIAL to be something special if his BB/9 improved and his HR/FB regressed to league norms. Many were willing to bet on the come that it would happen. Fast forward, his BB/9 has actually gotten worse while his K/9 has as well. he is not even on my "watch" list any more.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord