Pseudo-Dynasty team.

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

Pseudo-Dynasty team.

#1 Post by onejayhawk »

Here is what I can bring back:

C - Montero
1B - Votto
2B - Roberts
SS - Zobrist
3B - A-Rod
OF - Ellsbury
OF - Kubel
OF - Cuddyer
Util - Julio Borbon

SP - Grienke
SP - Wandy
SP - Edwin Jackson
RP - Bell

We "pick" our keepers in rounds 1-4, so the first live pick is #65. Then have pick or keep options on other players based on draft position and length of service. I also have an options on Chris Coughlan and JP Howell, for picks #240 and #256.

The league is ROTO, 16 teams mixed, with OBA and Holds. This was the winner, so it should be competitive, but this is the runner up.

C - Y Molina
1B - B Butler
2B - Jose Lopez
SS - J Reyes
3B - Reynolds
OF - Sizemore
OF - Markakis
OF - Kemp

SP - Felix Hernandez
SP - Baker
SP - Slowey
RP - Street
Late options on Jorge De La Rosa (#323) and Jonathan Sanchez (#271).

I have only one "premium" pick, #96, plus #112, then picks in rounds 15 (#240) on.

How does it look? He keeps saying I have a jugernaught, but with both Reyes and Sizemore being busts last season, he still made the finals. Should I be nervous? What direction for the first two picks?

J
Last edited by onejayhawk on January 1st, 2010, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Pseudo-Dynasty team.

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Power look very light -- Roberts, Ellsbury and Borbon seem like overkill. I'm not sure if both Borbon and Ellsbury are best/necessary with only 9 active hitters.

In a dynasty format, I believe keeping pitching is necessary. Nothing wrong with Greinke and Wandy. EJax and Bell however do not give me the warm and fuzzies. Actually, no closer does.

I think my focus would be on finding young pitching that might develop into a top-4 starter in this format, that is a keeper.

Mat Latos, Rick Porcello, Brett Anderson, Clay Buchholz, Wade Davis are a few names that come to me right away (in no particular order).
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by onejayhawk »

Todd Zola wrote:Power look very light -- Roberts, Ellsbury and Borbon seem like overkill. I'm not sure if both Borbon and Ellsbury are best/necessary with only 9 active hitters.

In a dynasty format, I believe keeping pitching is necessary. Nothing wrong with Greinke and Wandy. EJax and Bell however do not give me the warm and fuzzies. Actually, no closer does.

I think my focus would be on finding young pitching that might develop into a top-4 starter in this format, that is a keeper.

Mat Latos, Rick Porcello, Brett Anderson, Clay Buchholz, Wade Davis are a few names that come to me right away (in no particular order).
Hey Todd. Long time.

I got Borbon basically free and has a three year option. I am hoping to trade Ellsbury, since he has the highest perceived value. Or Roberts, provided Zobrist stays at 2B, or Coghlan moves there. Also, aging DH type sluggers can be had at ridiculous discounts. I once got Thome in the 300s.

About Coughlan, will he play enough 2B to qualify before the All Star game, ie 5 starts or 10 appearance? At all? Also, how soon will Martin Perez be worth rostering?

J

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

No kidding J, what took you so long? Is this a rotojunkie league and you don't want them to read the replies ;)

Anyway...

I'll defer to others with respect to Perez.

Florida has so many moving parts, it is a dart throw with regards to Coghlan at 2B.

The assumption is Florida deals Uggla, clearing the position for Coghlan. But we all know what they say about the word ass-u-me.

If I were a betting man, I would throw some sheckles on Coghlan qualifying pretty quickly as smoke usually equals fire.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by onejayhawk »

Not an RJ league. They have better political fights in the open forum though. Did you hear the one about Bhob having to wear the Red Sox logo in 2004? It seems Kerry lost the election. I let him off after two days.

J

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

It's no secret I peruse the Bullpen quite frequently and was even publicly outed for searching myself there :P

I tend to avoid reading the political threads primarily because it helps to have a feel for the personality of the posters, something you guys have a great feel of which is perhaps the best part of the community.

If I am in a bar and hear a political debate, I am not likely to join in, not really knowing anything about the people debating. But if I hear some sports debate, I have no qualms about getting involved.

Well, let's say years ago when I actually frequented bars....

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#7 Post by onejayhawk »

Todd Zola wrote:Well, let's say years ago when I actually frequented bars....
"Where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came..."

Boston bars do have a reputation.

So long for now. Heading back to the middle east.

J

lawr
Major League All-Star

#8 Post by lawr »

ok-

i gotta start with i like the team you have. my tout al team last year had arod, kubel, and cuddyer and they all paid off handsomely for me.

but, if i was gonna freeze four, they would be:

ellsbury
arod
grienke
votto

one of the things you did--and i am guessing it was conscious, and it was something i was looking at and did--was pick guys who had fallen out of favor to a degree (kubel and cuddyer, for sure and jackson and bell certainly fell into undervalued).

so, i might be inclined to follow that path again, and let someone make the high pick on those guys and look to some other down year players (russell martin, david wright though you have first and third covered, but you know what i mean).

but, the bottom line is i try not to be too freaked out or intimidated by another team or keeper list, especially going into the draft.

clearly the players who will unlock the win puzzle are there. the issue is finding them, but that same conundrum truly exists for every owner every year, save dynasty leagues where 20-plus freezes are allowed.

it looks like you picked well, and have good instincts.

follow that (and i even would put votto on the bubble for cuddy, wandy, bell, kubel, or roberts, and i like zobrist, but am not totally sure he will repeat his break out totals, though not unreasonable that he does).

but, bottom line is your team as presented is very well balanced, so try to repeat that formula and that should put you in the hunt.

worry about tweaking and the fine tuning relative to putting your opponents away in june, if your team is indeed in the hunt (which i suspect it will be).

lawr