Adam Lind

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Adam Lind

#1 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Ok ... I admit it ...I'm stumped.

Before ASB -
AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Pre All-Star 260 37 78 8 0 16 52 21 2 52 1 1 .300 .349 .515 .864
Post All-Star 149 12 27 4 0 6 21 5 1 32 0 0 .181 .212 .329 .541
but the thing that really gets me is this - total numbers of walks in the month of August? Zero! ZERO!! How can a guy who hit .300 before the break and .181 after it not have the patience to take one walk in the month of August to date??

This is one of the more drastic drop offs I can recall involving the ASB. Anyone have any thoughts? It's not like they've had major lineup changes - I'm totally clueless about him now.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Adam Lind

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I'd remind yourself of what you have quoted in green in your sig, from Gary J.

Honestly, I chalk it up to when there are 750 players on an MLB roster at any time, and almost that many others that spent time there at some point, sometimes sh!t just happens.

One could argue that the slump has caused him to be even MORE impatient, leading to swinging at even more bad pitches. The concept of patience has never been in his make-up, nor the teams. Joey Bats aside.

Speaking of Bautista, I'm not into the "mental" side of things, but they are human, after all. Perhaps his impatience is fueled by the number of "unintentional-intentional" walks Bautista has received just ahead of him. Maybe Lind is pressing to make them pay.

Fangraphs has some great data, there are many far better then me at understanding and interpreting it. Though, the most relevant -- swings and contact in and out of the strike zone -- are not broken down per month, only per year so even if i could understand it, it is not possible to look to see if he is swinging at more balls this month, etc.

The one split that I could find is strike percentage and sure enough, that is higher than all but May, where the sample is tiny. I do not know if this counts making contact with a ball out of the zone as a strike or it measures if the pitch was simply in or out of the zone.

My personal take home message is I am moving even further away from "projections" per say and really shifting to "likelihood he is in the neighborhood." My gut tells me the filters for this are going to include K-rate and BB-rate and with his really poor BB-rate, Lind will be too risky for my liking.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord