Posada

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
bubble boys

Posada

#1 Post by bubble boys »

Team & league info in signature.

I'm currently in 1st but I have Posada as my starting C. It's pretty slim picking for FA catchers. These are the top 6 sorted by RBI, which is my weakest offensive category.

Buck, John C FLA
Barajas, Rod C LA
Hernandez, Ramon C CIN
Doumit, Ryan C PIT
Hundley, Nick C SD
Lucroy, Jonathan C MIL

My biggest dilemma is who to drop to pick up on of these guys. Any suggestions?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Posada

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Slim pickings? I own Posada in several leagues and would be THRILLED with any of those as a backup!!

When Matusz is ready, you are going to need to drop a SP, when Brown is recalled ( he is no longer on the DL, strange that you can still keep him there), you are going to have to drop an OF so I would wait for those situations to flesh out a bit and drop Broxton since you are flush at close and do not need him.

As for the catcher, I don't think present RBI is indicative of future RBI, I would use playing time as my currency and take Buck or Lucroy, depending on whether I could use the little extra power boost from Buck or average boost from Lucroy.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

bubble boys

#3 Post by bubble boys »

As a backup those guys would be great but I was thinking more about replacing Posada if the whole "I needed a day" develops into a full blown disaster. But I guess I'll wait & see what happens before panicking.

Yeah we need to tweak our rules about players on the DL. Once they are on we don't require them to be taken off. I'm going to try & get that changed for next season but for now I'm using it to my advantage.

Once Matusz is activated I was planning on putting Broxton on the DL. I'm going to try using Brown as a trading chip once he gets recalled.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

backup/replacement, whatever.

Just saying those choices are nothing to sneeze at is all.

One way to consider the drop is to ask yourself "what player has the worst chance of ever making into my starting lineup."

Another is "which player and I most likely going to be able to replace with a similar player from waivers in an emergency.

Sometimes this is different than "who is the worse player", based on positions and needs.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

bubble boys wrote:Team & league info in signature.

I'm currently in 1st but I have Posada as my starting C. It's pretty slim picking for FA catchers. These are the top 6 sorted by RBI, which is my weakest offensive category.

Buck, John C FLA
Barajas, Rod C LA
Hernandez, Ramon C CIN
Doumit, Ryan C PIT
Hundley, Nick C SD
Lucroy, Jonathan C MIL

My biggest dilemma is who to drop to pick up on of these guys. Any suggestions?
I think you are making this a bigger problem than it should be - aren't the stats of most of those catchers better than Posada? You are in a very shallow league and there will always be choices like that - if I were you I would have and still would drop Posada and pick up Ramon Hernandez (ps getting warmer and lots of homers in that yard)

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I think it would be helpful if you could post what you thought you would be getting out of Posada this year first. You may alter your thinking in several ways when you give us an idea of what metrics you were going to hold Posada to.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

bubble boys

#7 Post by bubble boys »

@Todd, If I look at it that way I guess Broxton has the least chance of cracking my lineup.

@Captain & da_big_kid_94, I guess I'm still overvaluing Posada based on his "name" & reputation.

2011 Projections - R: 51 / HR: 17 / RBI: 63 / SB: 1 / BA: 0.251

Thanks for all the great input.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

bubble boys wrote:2011 Projections - R: 51 / HR: 17 / RBI: 63 / SB: 1 / BA: 0.251
Yikes ... ok , I see your dilemma, but it's easily fixable ...however, you won't like the solution. It is not realistic to expect those types of numbers types from any unowned catcher right now, including the ones you listed. I think the Captain is right - Hernandez is your best option going forward.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

bubble boys

#9 Post by bubble boys »

I finally made a move but I couldn't bring myself to drop Posada just yet. Instead I dropped D Brown & moved Broxton to the DL giving me room to pick up R Hernandez. I figure Brown's hurt again so it's gonna be awhile before he's ready to contribute.

Thanks guys.