Miguel Montero V Kurt Suzuki

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
WillRoy
Major League All-Star

Miguel Montero V Kurt Suzuki

#1 Post by WillRoy »

What are the Masters thinking about the Playing time for Miguel Montero? Because aside from that possible chink in his value, I think this guy is gonna be very good for 2010. THough the projections like Suzuki more for RBI/Runs I think (on OAK, my favorite, no less!)

And... The big question for one of my leagues: Suzuki (Kurt) or Miguel Montero? I prefer MM

-Will
Storrs City Chess Company

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Miguel Montero V Kurt Suzuki

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

The primary difference is we KNOW Suzuki is going to get the lion's share of at bats because he has done it the past few years and Oakland has no reasonable alternative.

We ASSUME Montero is going to get more than half but where not exactly sure the split as Chris Snyder is still a viable option. We make the aforementioned assumption based on some fine play by Montero while Snyder was hurt, figuring he has earned an increased role.

Straight skills? Montero.

But in terms of fantasy value -- which involves the playing time component as well, Montero is the "high risk, high reward" option while Suzuki is "you know what you are going to get."

That said, the risk with Montero is not so much he struggles as he ends up in more of a time share than his skills might otherwise suggest.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

JP Kastner

#3 Post by JP Kastner »

This is where defense comes into play. Kurt Suzuki has been rated the third best defensive catcher in the AL. Good defense, acceptable bat, and excellent endurance means that the A's can save money by signing a league minimum player to be the #2 catcher.

Miguel Montero's bat has never been questioned. It is his defense that is the issue. In his extended playing time he improved, but he is still below average. Chris Snyder, on the other hand, is an excellent defender. Snyder will steal some playing time away because of his glove. That is assuming he stays with the D-Backs. If they trade him then Montero would get a big share of the playing time and we would change our projections.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Excellent point JP. You can tell JP is wired to think about defense from his strong Strat-O-Matic background.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord