Twitter: Better than Rotoworld?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

Twitter: Better than Rotoworld?

#1 Post by Bodhizefa »

Guys, I'm ashamed to admit that I have very recently become a Twitter addict. For a while, I used it to follow some select celebrities and some Mariner folk, but I didn't understand its usefulness toward good baseball intel until the last month or so. And it just keeps getting better, too. I now find I am getting information before Rotoworld and similar sites post it on their page. It is quickly becoming the de facto standard for news updates -- be it baseball or anything else -- which is weird and crazy, but also kindof cool.

I suggest anyone who uses it helps out here to form a good list of all baseball information Twitterers. As soon as I get home tonight, I'll start adding some names to the list (and in fact, I can compile a list that we can link to with all the names ready to add on Twitter to make it easy for newbies -- and if you don't understand what I just meant, I'll explain that when I do it, too!)
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Twitter: Better than Rotoworld?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

We talked about this at the Arizona First Pitch Forum. I was on a "Fantasy Information Panel", playing the part of the common user and made three observations relating to the Twitter explosion:

1. Established message forums that used to have a lot of traffic based on the members posting news are not as "busy".

2. While the quality of the corresponding analysis at the free sites has always been sketchy at best, now the accuracy of some news items is becoming compromised as sites want to be first to post.

3. HOPEFULLY -- with Twitter dominating news dissemination, boards such as this can return to their roots, a place for intelligent discussion revolving around analysis and implications of the news and not a place to get the news.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

JP Kastner

#3 Post by JP Kastner »

Actually, this could be a very useful project. Let me see what I can do with the Twitter API's. We could probably host a page with nothing but Twitter comments from all around the baseball world.

JP

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by Bodhizefa »

JP Kastner wrote:Actually, this could be a very useful project. Let me see what I can do with the Twitter API's. We could probably host a page with nothing but Twitter comments from all around the baseball world.

JP
Sounds like a plan, Stan. I'm currently amassing a list on Twitter at the moment that encapsulates all the guys I know who report on baseball. I'm sure there are tons more, too.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

JP Kastner

#5 Post by JP Kastner »

I am able to integrate the Twitter API into the site. I can envision a series of web pages dedicated by subject to allow our non-Twitter friends to have access to this information.

JP

brian
Major Leaguer

#6 Post by brian »

I would just reinforce one of Todd's concerns mentioned above. Just yesterday, someone initiated a false rumor that the Marlins turned down an offer for Josh Johnson from the Rangers for Smoak and Feliz. It must have been tweeted and re-tweeted 200 times before someone actually checked and debunked it.

Later, Peter Gammons' decision to leave ESPN again generated scores of basically-identical tweets. And finally, the grandaddy of them all, the Granderson trade. How many links to analysis pieces critical of Josh Byrnes do we need to see?

I am not suggesting that Twitter is a bad thing, but perhaps more than most other apps, it requires judicious use of filters. I suggest being selective in who you follow, set up lists to separate your subject areas of interest and consider an aggregation front end like Tweetdeck to help better organize the chaos. While there is good information, there is a lot of clutter, too. Like anything else, if you let it, Twitter can chew up a lot of time.

By the way, if you are interested in my views of the St. Louis Cardinals majors and minors, you can follow me on Twitter...

Brian Walton
Brian Walton
mastersball.com

JP Kastner

#7 Post by JP Kastner »

It is certainly not without risks. We will have to make it clear that the information posted there is very raw. Still, not everyone is savvy enough to want to use Twitter or go through the trouble of figuring out who to follow or not. We could do that for them.