Judge.....what's his trade value now?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Judge.....what's his trade value now?

#1 Post by CubFan »

With today's revelation by Judge that he has a torn big toe tendon (sprains are really tears so may just be semantics) I'm left wondering when will he return. From what I've read 3-6 weeks is a typical recovery time for a minor to moderate sprain. I would think if it was worse then he'd be in a walking boot.....which he isn't. So, what to do with him.

This is a 12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. I've been treading water for the past 3 weeks with him, Mullins (he's returning today), Lowe on the IL and Rooker and Grossman producing little. Judge's salary is $40. Would you be concerned that even when he returns (I'm thinking late July) he's going to have issues akin to turf toe since it's his back foot and all the spin, torque and push forces will be on that big toe?

Been offered Pena for Judge plus $5 FAAB which I think is too light. What do you think of a straight Yordan Alvarez for Judge swap? Or sit tight and hope he returns to form in a month?
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Judge.....what's his trade value now?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Judge and Alvarez are both risks the rest of the season (if not every year).
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by CubFan »

Talked to my son who is a sports physical therapist. Based solely on the public info out there and his experience he believes Judge's big toe ligament tear is akin to having turf toe and he estimates out for at least another month and probably longer. If/when he returns he'll have to play in pain (remember how LeMathieu had a similar toe injury last year and how it greatly affected his hitting?) My son said the turf toe won't heel fully till the off season.

Today I was offered Pablo Lopez for Bryce Miller and Judge. This is an AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league using W+QS and OBP. It's extremely rare for a SP to continue being effective throwing fastballs >63% of the time.....even as great of one that Miller throws. Apparently game lop data shows his FB steadily declines through the game (down 1 1/2 ticks by the fifth inning on Sat). We also don't know what type of IP restriction Seattle may impose. I've got a decent offense without Judge but it becomes very good with Judge in it.

Would you take the deal or sit tight? My other SPs are Gausman, Joe Ryan, Jon Gray, Wells and Lynn (streaming against weak teams until he shows otherwise). I have $21 of 100 FAAB left so I will be fishing at the bottom of the FA barrel the rest of the year.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

I can't gauge whether to take the deal -- too many nuances for which I am not privy. Your team, your call.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by CubFan »

Fair enough.

As a SP who do you prefer RoS between Miller and Lopez in my type of only league? Do you have any concerns that Miller would be shut down if Seattle is out of the wild card race?

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Lopez, by a pretty wide margin. I expect SEA to make a run, but still Lopez.

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by CubFan »

Todd, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -