Keepers in Dynasty

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Kstan
Triple-A
Preferred Style: 5x5 Keeper AL only

Keepers in Dynasty

#1 Post by Kstan »

I just joined a 15 team Dynasty 5x5, no salary/contracts, 12 MLB Keepers 8 MILB Keepers each year, 23 man active roster 15 Reserves. This is my first league with no contracts or being a Redraft league. At a high level, Im wondering about a couple of positions on whether to keep a younger guy over a player that has been around for a while. Specifically, keeping Bryan De La Cruz OF MIA over Hays OF BLT and Jonathon India 2B CIN over Kolton Wong 2B SEA. I think its safe to say the ceiling has been set for Hays and Wong while the 2 younger players are still defining their MLB profile.

I dont plan on "playing for next year" and always work the Waiver Wire to keep my team relevant. Thoughts?
Kstan
5x5 Keeper AL only

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Keepers in Dynasty

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I agree with India over Wong, but not De La Cruz over Hays, but that could be an irrational belief Hays isn't done. From a more practical perspective, Hays is in a better lineup, and even with the Camden Yards renovation, it's a better hitting venue than Marlins Park.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Kstan
Triple-A

#3 Post by Kstan »

Thanx for the feedback Todd. While they call this a Dynasty league (because there is no contracts I guess), having only 12 MLB Keepers each year, my thought is to play it like a league with 3 year contracts. Pretty much trying to have the best MLB players each year and cash. They do allow 8 MILB Keepers each year, but they slide into the 15 man Reserve bench once the season starts. So I am thinking to try and have no more than 3 or 4 MILB players that I MIGHT play the long term game with them. Any thoughts in general about that?
Kstan
5x5 Keeper AL only

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Is there a separate minor league draft, or do you lump everything together so some draft prospects and others draft MLB reserves to fill out the 15 spots? If that's the approach, this is a lot like the XFL. Teams wanting to win draft spec closers, 4th outfielders etc, while rebuilding teams draft the top high school catcher.

If I'm reading this right, I think you have a good approach. You want to have a couple of prospects, if only to trade and you'll likely land on a couple of forever keepers.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Kstan
Triple-A

#5 Post by Kstan »

23 man roster with 15 reserves in season. You can keep 12 MLB players and 8 MILB (ROY ab/ip limits) going into the draft. But after the draft the MILB players go into the Reserves just like MLB players. No separate Minors Draft, all players in CBS are eligible to be drafted. So like you said I want to have a few prospects, but the focus to be on MLB players. Thanx again
Kstan
5x5 Keeper AL only