To start Tazawa or not to start Tazawa, that is the question

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
rotonut

To start Tazawa or not to start Tazawa, that is the question

#1 Post by rotonut »

I'm currently 1st in my 14-team 5x5 mixed league (10 Hs / 7 Ps) (not the Subscriber League, so honest feedback would be appreciated), but I have 3 teams right on my tail. The Ws, Ks and WHIP categories are pretty tight with points gained and lost almost daily. I am pretty locked in at ERA.

I know I should try to stay risk adverse at this point in the season, but Tazawa gets two starts this week (vs. Det and @ Tex). However, the prospect of two starts by a pitcher who's stuff has yet to be seen by MLB hitters and a BoSox team that has to be P.O.'ed after this weekend's disaster has me thinking one or two Ws and a bunch of Ks.

My other choices to take the active roster spot are the following one-start pichers: Petit (vs. LA), Correia (@ Mil), or Masterson (@ Min).

Am I thinking irrationally, or is Tazawa worth the gamble?

Thanks!

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: To start Tazawa or not to start Tazawa, that is the question

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I like the kid ...in fact , I own him ... I'm expecting great things from him ...just not this week. This is a kid who is just up from (essentially) AA ... against two teams who are pennant contenders (and isn't there an assumption he'll make that second start?), one of which is in Arlington? After being swept 4 straight by the Yankees? And we still don't know Bay's status? No way you start him.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

I don't buy into the "Sox will be pissed off" argument for starting him.

The word is Bay's injury was a cramp and not a strain which is promising.

The second start is indeed not a sure thing either.

While I realize that it is never too early to play the matchup game, I think it is a little too early to rely on someone like Tazawa.

I'm torn between Correia and Masterson as the choice.

The combo of the sinker and Minn park are good, though lefties rake Masterson so Mauer and Morneau are dangerous.

And you just never know what Correia you will get.

Right now, my lean is Masterson, that could change.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotonut

#4 Post by rotonut »

I hear you, and subconsciously I agree (or I wouldn't have posted in the first place). Masterson still scares me as a starter because he really hasn't been afforded the chance to be stretched out. He's a 4-5 inning pitcher right now and for the immediate future until he shows he can work longer into games, don't you think?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

He threw 62 in a 4-inning relief stint, so he should be good for 75, which could be 4-6 innings.

Of course, it isn't like the bullpen is of the lock-down variety, but as they say, whoever they are, don't worry about wins.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotonut

#6 Post by rotonut »

Grrrrrrrrrrr ;)

cwk1963

#7 Post by cwk1963 »

I'd certainly lean towards Masterson after the trade as opposed to Tazawa vs the AL East. In fact, I just traded for Masterson in a 16 team league.

rotonut

#8 Post by rotonut »

And double ouch :(

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

the 3 lefties, Mauer, Morneau and Kubel had a field day

rotonut

#10 Post by rotonut »

So did my ERA and WHIP. Had I known Gaudin would be inserted as a starter this week, I would have started him over all three of my others. Oh well... better days ahead.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

could have been worse, we could have suggested Morton :shock: