FAAB Rules : Peavy Advice

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
RotoSleuth

FAAB Rules : Peavy Advice

#1 Post by RotoSleuth »

AL Only, 11 team std 5x5. Players switching leagues do not carry over their stats.

League debate over Peavy as league rules haven't seen this (at least that anyone can remember in the last 12 years), thus a loophole?

Looking for how leagues are handling Peavy since he is coming to AL yet on the DL -
Our current rules state:
NL players coming to AL are handled via FAAB
*yet*
AL players on the DL are ineligible for bid

To allow to bid or not to bid, that is the question?

THANKS

(FYI, I say DL trumps NL player, thus no bid, but wanted other opinions/views)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: FAAB Rules : Peavy Advice

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Not to bid.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Been wondering about this one myself since the deal was announced - our (that's read MY ...which ought to be interesting since my brother was the one who bid on him ...and he's league commissioner) ruling was not eligible to be bid on - but I sent in a question to Steve Gardner on this for today's USA Today chat to see if additional insight may be gathered ...if he answers, I'll post it here.

As Promosed:
Glenwood, NJ: Good morning , Steve - thanks for taking the time - you just KNEW this question was coming. This is primarily for ONLY leagues that do NOT carry over stats - when a DL'ed player (that's' spelled P-E-A-V-Y) goes from one league to another, does his prior team's DL designation automatically carry over to his new team or does his new team have to put him on THEIR DL once they've cleared 40 man roster space for him? Obviously, he's on the Sox DL - question is - how did he get there since there's no mention that the Sox put him there.
Steve Gardner: I believe that once you're on the DL, it doesn't matter if you're traded. The White Sox did have to add him to their 40-man, but they also traded two guys off their 40-man (maybe more, I'm not sure about the others) to get Peavy.
Not exactly what I had hoped for - but I'd say he felt Peavy was never active - so if your league doesn't allow FAAB of DL'ed players? he's not eligible.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Unless a league is ultra-competitive and there is a decent haul for winning on the line, I usually lean to a "spirit-of-the-rules" interpretation. Thing is here, the spirit of the rules and letter of the law seem to me to be one and the same.

Being truthful here, seems to me the only person who would argue otherwise is the one that got Peavy.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Todd Zola wrote:Unless a league is ultra-competitive and there is a decent haul for winning on the line, I usually lean to a "spirit-of-the-rules" interpretation. Thing is here, the spirit of the rules and letter of the law seem to me to be one and the same.

Being truthful here, seems to me the only person who would argue otherwise is the one that got Peavy.
Both those parameters are true in this case (in fact he's in 2nd in our AL only) . Thanksgiving is usually eventful in our family - mayhaps, this year even more so (where are you, Schildkrotte? Note the use of mayhaps).
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

SeaDogStat
Double-A
Preferred Style: Auction 4x4 & 5x5

#6 Post by SeaDogStat »

As commish of a 20 yr old AL only, we had a guy bid on Peavy, but it was disallowed as he is on the DL. Of course, we run a daily faab league so if he comes back before Sept 1, the league will have a chance to bid on him. If he comes back Sept 1 or later, being a daily league, the last place team that day will get a nice keeper in a 10 pt Peavy...