Balancing Pitching Stats

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Heckah
High-A

Balancing Pitching Stats

#1 Post by Heckah »

I don't know if this would go here or in theory/discussion. But I'm looking for some thoughts on when to call off the dogs or keep the foot on the pedal when it comes to pitching.

H2H weekly league with six pitching stats. W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, QS

Currently...

Up in W 4-2
Punted saves
Up in Ks 42-29
Up in ERA 2.68-4.03
Up in WHIP 0.98-1.55
QS tied at 2-2

I have Musgrove today and Cueto tomorrow and I'm out of moves for the week
He has Urena and Carlos Martinez today and Giolito tomorrow and can add 2 more pitchers for tomorrow if he wants.

I'm fairly comfortable this week keeping the pitching going to pick up more Ks, Ws and QSs, to outlast the potentially 5 starts he can throw at me because he probably has the larger risk to his ERA and WHIP than I do, but is there a point where you are willing to bench your starters to preserve ERA and WHIP?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Balancing Pitching Stats

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Sure, there's a time, but there's no formula, at least not for me - it's a feel thing. Depends on how the other categories (including hitting) are fleshing out and what scenario gives me the best chance to win. It's not always possible, since it is schedule and rules dependent, but midweek I look to stash a possible streamer for Sunday in case I need him.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord