2021 Razz Slam (cutline/ best ball) advice

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
CubbyNole
Low-A

2021 Razz Slam (cutline/ best ball) advice

#1 Post by CubbyNole »

Todd,

This is only my 2nd cutline league and in RazzSlam — I’ve started with: deGrom, Springer, Rendon, Starling, Javy & Aroldis. deGrom is an early mistake, but I wanted a share of him. Lol Otherwise, is my start a solid base for cutline and when do you find it’s best to dip into the starting pitching market? Thanks for your time.

Regards,

James

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: 2021 Razz Slam (cutline/ best ball) advice

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Depending where you picks, deGrom wasn't an egregious mistake. In short, you want to spread the positions around and not double up (except in outfield) before filling in all the infield spots. Taking two SS or two 3B because you can use them at MI or CI as well as UT and they were the best available at the time is fine for regular formats, but detrimental to best ball. The idea is having as many players on your roster have as many spots they can fill and by taking two SS (or whatever) early, you're lessening he times one of your "backup" SS makes the best lineup.

Your build looks fine in that regard.

Keeping in mind the scoring system used is unlike no other system and pitching is usually worth so much more, early on I will take a starting pitcher if he looks to be the best arm on my board. Keep in mind FAR more lesser pitchers will jump into your active lineup than hitters. In order for a lesser hitter to do it, he needs a hot week. All a pitchers needs is one start. That said, there are nine spots, so you want a few filled with reliable guys.

I like to see you're not afraid of closers-- too many are. My approach is I want multiple closers since the weeks they get multiple saves, they're golden and the more I have, the better the chance someone will pop. This works because many wrongfully avoid them.

The other tip is whatever position you draft the first player last (for example, you have a 1B, 3B, SS and OF before picking your first 2B), back up that spot first. You want a better player covering your 10th round pick (as an example) than a 1st or 2nd round choice.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CubbyNole
Low-A

Re: 2021 Razz Slam (cutline/ best ball) advice

#3 Post by CubbyNole »

Todd,

Thank you very much for the insightful feedback. It's much appreciated. Good luck in your drafts and all season long!

Regards,

James