Mid draft adjustments

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

Mid draft adjustments

#1 Post by onejayhawk »

There is an older thread on this team. It's 16 team H2H with OBA and holds (Sv and Hld are seperate stats). We draft 30 man rosters and play 22, so the rosters double as farm system.

We have three forever keepers. In addition, there is an incremental option system, which both increases the cost and reduces the time. Once a player is out of options, he can only be kept as one of the three.

Prior to draft
Keepers - 48
Options used - 169
Total - 217
Players kept with ADP over 200 - 74
Highest ADP kept - Nolan Gorman #914

We are in the middle of the draft. I have no picks left for several rounds, due to options exercised. When I next pick, almost 350 players will be off the board, though many of them will have ADP above #350. There should be several players left with ADP below #250. Here is the roster at this point.

C - Carson Kelly
1B - Jeimer Candelario 1B, 3B
2B - Altuve, Jose 2B
3B - Eduardo Escobar 2B, 3B
SS -
MI - Gavin Lux 2B
CI - Brandon Lowe 1B, 2B, OF
OF - Ronald Acuña
OF - Luis Robert
OF - Leody Taveras
OF -
Util -

SP - Garrit Cole
SP - Carlos Carrasco SP, RP
SP - Charlie Morton
SP - Lance Lynn
RP - Josh Hader
RP - Liam Hendricks
RP -
P - Hyun Jin Ryu
P
P

BN - Wander Franco
BN - Jo Adell
BN - Alex Kiriloff
BN - x5

After round #22, more picks go to prospecting than to current season needs, so I may be able to get some boring old players very cheaply. Who should I target for the rest of the slots?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Mid draft adjustments

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Happy to opine on players of interest. No clue who will be available.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by onejayhawk »

OK Here are a few bats that seem interesting and their ADP.

1B Joey Votto 324
1B Nate Lowe 308
1B Jake Bauers 607
1B/2B Tommy la Stella 290
2B/3B/SS Joey Wendle 304
2B/SS Niko Goodrum 369
3B/OF Yoshi Tsutsugo 427
OF Willie Calhoun 336

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Wendle has to be first to cover SS

Then Votto, Lowe and La Stella with an eye on covering Lux.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by onejayhawk »

Wendle is not the only SS. The pick will be up shortly. Which of

Amed Rosario
Willy Adames
Myles Straw (SS eligible)
Joey Wendle

I can retain 2 additional years cheaply.

J

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Since you have Franco, I'd think about Willy Adames. If you need speed, it sure looks like Myles Straw will get the nod, especially with Jackie Bradley Jr. off the market.

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#7 Post by onejayhawk »

Picks up, so I'm taking Adames. Straw will be OF only next season.

J

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#8 Post by onejayhawk »

I drafted Adames and Straw was the taken next pick.

J

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#9 Post by onejayhawk »

I hoped to get Dalbec with my next pick, but settled for the top young SP on the site board, Canning Griffin. hopefully he will be my SP2 next season.

Comments on three potential 1B?

Nate Lowe
Miguel Cabrera
Joey Votto

J

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

I'd look for another SP2 for next season - Canning hasn't been able to stay healthy.

You know what Cabrera and Votto are - if that's good enough to compete, may as well play it safe. If you need more, Lowe is a risk/reward type as Texas has other options.

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#11 Post by onejayhawk »

I added Nate Lowe and am looking for SP candidates. Here are a few. I ought to get one of them.

Dane Dunning
Yusei Kikuchi
Tanner Houk
Brad Keller
Jake Odorizzi
Spencer Turnbull

Should I be urgent about a holds oriented RP, since it's a separate category? Tanner Rainey is available.

Does Osuna have any value?

J

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

Sources of holds will emerge. So will starters, but I'd rather throw my darts at starters and hope one hits bullseye. Of the list, Kikuchi and Keller stand out to me, your team, your call.

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#13 Post by onejayhawk »

Interesting. Kikuchi is highest on the default rankings, then Odorizzi and Houk.

I like Dunning because of the still-new ballpark and improved defense, but he's down the list a ways. I think he and Keller can wait a round or three, since prospecting is getting serious.

Are Puig and Osuna going to play this year?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

onejayhawk wrote: March 6th, 2021, 7:25 pm

Are Puig and Osuna going to play this year?
No idea, your guess is as good as mine.

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#15 Post by onejayhawk »

Both were drafted, but not by me.