First Pitch Arizona Speakers Draft

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

First Pitch Arizona Speakers Draft

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

I think this is our third year doing this, Greg Ambrosius sets up a DC league for some of the First Pitch Arizona speakers. We play it out under standard NFBC 15-team, 50 player rules.

I drew 1.10

1.10 Trevor Story
2.21 Lucas Giolito

Very happy with Story, wish a different arm made it to 2.21, but I don't want to push my SP1 to R3 with this group.

Six SP went consecutively starting with the second pick in Round 2: Nola, Bauer, Buehler, Darvish, Giolito, Woodruff. The Big-3 went in the first round.

Discuss.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: First Pitch Arizona Speakers Draft

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

1.10 Trevor Story
2.21 Lucas Giolito
3.40 Anthony Rendon
4.51 Eloy Jimenez

I have Marcell Ozuna ranked worthy of 3.40, but I played chicken with the room and lost. It's fine, teams don't really differentiate from the market until later.

Rendon's floor is rock solid while Jimenez has a nice combo of floor and upside.

Now a very long sweat commences as I have very particular plans for the next two picks.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

RandallJay34
Triple-A
Preferred Style: H2H Points, 5x5

#3 Post by RandallJay34 »

Would you have drafted Yelich instead of Story if he were available to you there? If so, would you have still taken Rendon over Tim Anderson in the 3rd rd?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

I can't say for certain, but I likely would have chosen Story. That said, I would have haggled over the decision. I immediately send DVR a note thanking him.

I'm confident I would have taken Rendon over Anderson regardless.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

1.10 Trevor Story
2.21 Lucas Giolito
3.40 Anthony Rendon
4.51 Eloy Jimenez
5.70 Kyle Hendricks
6.81 Zack Wheeler

I wanted two SP with the last two picks, and this pair was in the target group, but was hoping for different/better selections.

Everyone sees the pool differently and/or has a different approach. This season, I want three of the top 30 then I'll avoid the middle and hammer the heck out of the end with streamers. As such, it will be bats, bats and more bats for the foreseeable future, sneaking in a SP or CL when/if the time is right. First five rounds posted here:

https://twitter.com/GregAmbrosius/st...30949728362497

RandallJay34
Triple-A

#6 Post by RandallJay34 »

Out of curiosity how did the rest of this draft go?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

1.10 Trevor Story
2.21 Lucas Giolito
3.40 Anthony Rendon
4.51 Eloy Jimenez
5.70 Kyle Hendricks
6.81 Zack Wheeler
7.100 Will Smith (C)
8.111 Paul Goldschmidt
9.130 Tommy Edman
10.141 Christian Vazquez
11.160 Rhys Hoskins
12.171. Will Smith (P)
13.190 Adam Ottavino
14.201 Austin Hays
15.220 Sean Manaea
16.231 Justin Turner
17.250 Cesar Hernandez
18.261 Jon Berti
19.280 David Peralta
20.291 J.B. Wendelken
21.310 Mike Minor
22.321 Josh Lindblom
23.340 Corey Dickerson
24.351 Justin Upton
25.370 Trevor May
26.381 Franchy Cordero
27.400 Edward Olivares
28.411 Blake Treinen

RandallJay34
Triple-A

#8 Post by RandallJay34 »

Thanks, Todd! How do you feel about your team?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

I need to refresh the picks, we're in Round 37.

I just tweeted the following:
Observation based on drafting a sample of one 15-team, 50 round Draft and Hold League -- middle infield is crazy strong in the first 20 rounds (or so) then falls off the cliff (relative to corner infield and outfield) for the last 30 or so rounds.
Follow up: The manner to account for this is drafting a few of the many multiple eligibility guys qualifying at 2B and elsewhere, and "putting" them elsewhere while you build your "active" lineup. Then, use reserves to fortify the non-2B spot in case you need to move them.
I really like the team, but am wary of MI depth since I didn't recognize the above in time to address it. I'm also behind on pitching, a bit by design since I sent heavy on (hopefully) durable relievers so to finish it off, I need to find (get lucky on) some deep starting pitchers.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

1.10 Trevor Story
2.21 Lucas Giolito
3.40 Anthony Rendon
4.51 Eloy Jimenez
5.70 Kyle Hendricks
6.81 Zack Wheeler
7.100 Will Smith (C)
8.111 Paul Goldschmidt
9.130 Tommy Edman
10.141 Christian Vazquez
11.160 Rhys Hoskins
12.171. Will Smith (P)
13.190 Adam Ottavino
14.201 Austin Hays
15.220 Sean Manaea
16.231 Justin Turner
17.250 Cesar Hernandez
18.261 Jon Berti
19.280 David Peralta
20.291 J.B. Wendelken
21.310 Mike Minor
22.321 Josh Lindblom
23.340 Corey Dickerson
24.351 Justin Upton
25.370 Trevor May
26.381 Franchy Cordero
27.400 Edward Olivares
28.411 Blake Treinen
29.430 Andrelton Simmons
30.441 Colin Moran
31.460 Jose Quintana
32.471 Austin Barnes
33.490 Clarke Schmidt
34.501 Kevin Plawecki
35.520 Jared Oliva
36.531 Danny Duffy
37.550 Rio Ruiz