How does this look going into the draft?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

How does this look going into the draft?

#1 Post by onejayhawk »

This is a 15 year old semi-dynasty league. Typically, more than 200 players are kept, with 480 rostered, not counting IL.

16 teams, H2H, OBA and Holds.

C - Carson Kelly 4
1B - Brandon Lowe 3
2B - Garrett Hampson 1
3B - Ty France 3
SS - Isiah Kiner-Falefa 3
MI -
CI - Jeimer Candelario 2
OF - Ronald Acuña K
OF - Christian Yelich K
OF - Luis Robert 3
OF - Anthony Santander 5
Util -

SP - Carlos Carrasco K
SP - Charlie Morton 1
SP - Lance Lynn 1
SP -
RP - Josh Hader 2
RP - x 2
P - x 3

BN - Wander Franco 2
BN - Jo Adell 2
BN - x 6

I can give up Kiner-Falefa for either Royce Lewis or Alex Kiriloff. All of the players would have 3 option years.

Short explanation of system.
There are 3 required keepers (K) and a complex option system (number of option years remaining). Option cost escalates. Usually about 85 of the top 100 players by Yahoo ranking are kept. I have two premium picks which will likely both go to SP, plus one pick near #200. Everything else is past #300, which is about where mining for prospects get serious. SP, 3B goes quickest, while RP lasts longest.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: How does this look going into the draft?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Are the numbers years remaining with K meaning in perpetuity?

Can you estimate the best SP, 3B and SS available? Just trying to get a lay of the land.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by onejayhawk »

Yes, K is forever. Anyone from rounds 4-7 must be released or kept with a K.

This is two full rounds from last season, ie rounds 4 and 5. The other picks were players kept on option. I will have two picks in this range, roughly at Moustakas and Puig, then nothing for 80 picks.

Villar
Strausburg
Abreu
Castellanos
Patrick Corbin
Moustakas
Justin Turner
Willson Contreras
Kluber
Darvish
Carrasco
McCullers
Edwin Diaz
Hunter Renfro
Carlos Santana
Kenley Janson
Puig
Elvis
Kenta Maeda
Raisel Iglesias
Bumgarner
Segura

Given that my OF is stacked, Yelich is tradeable.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Thanks.

1. Definitely would deal Kiner-Falefa, prefer Kelenic but your call (obviously).
2. I agree, one of the early picks needs to be on a starting pitcher
3. Personally, I would not freeze France. I don't know if that means you can keep someone else or if it makes sense just to keep him since there's no one else for the spot. If that's the case, I'd look for a corner with the other early pick (assuming Candelario qualifies at 3B with 10 GP), moving France to reserve. That leaves SS and MI open, but middle is so deep, you'll find someone. They're not all going to be studs in a 16-team league. Someone like Willy Adames would be perfect since you have Franco as a hedge.
4. I know it's selling low, but do you think there is any interest on Jo Adell? That could help address the middle.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by onejayhawk »

I can have a pick in the late 200s for either or both of Kiner-Falefa or Ty France. One can be swapped for either Kiriloff or Royce Lewis, but only one. Kalenic is not an option.

Candelario will be 1B/3B/CI.

Would you dangle Yelich in an attempt to get an elite SP?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Ack, meant Kiriloff, not Kelenic, unfortunately not the first (or last) time for that mixup.

Re: Yelich, always smart to dangle, but don't settle, if you don't get someone you like, respectfully decline. Personally, I'd need someone in the Nola/Giolito/Buehler/Flaherty/Darvish/Bauer range with Gallen the cutoff.

With this anchor, you could fill 3B and SS early, then essentially best player available once you start picking again.

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#7 Post by onejayhawk »

Interesting. Gallen was the same cut off that I came up with, at least if he's the best player offered. One of the ironies, Darvish was my target. I had to settle for Carrasco.

I can see sense in Kiriloff. He should be 1B eligible not long after he promotes. If I did that, France covers 2B, 3B, CI, MI with someone who plays and draws BB (OBA league). I could get a Jean Segura type with my second pick or get Kiner-Falefa or equivalent in the late going.

What's your basic assessment--Balls to the wall, decent chances but not the favorite, stock up for 2022?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

onejayhawk wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:44 am

What's your basic assessment--Balls to the wall, decent chances but not the favorite, stock up for 2022?
Not my thing, too many factors I don't know. Your team, your call.

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#9 Post by onejayhawk »

OK

I was looking at the fallout of the Cleveland/NYMets trade. obviously that is good for me, since it bumps Carlos Carrasco closer to ace status. What's your take on the impact of the trade on Amed Rosario? He will definitely be in the draft. Last I checked, Rosario's ADP is was mid 300s. Unfortunately, Andres Gimenez is likely not in the draft.

While I am asking, thoughts on Morton in Atlanta?

J

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

I haven't done a dee dive on Rosario yet but the guaranteed playing time has to help.

The park change should hurt Morton a little, but the age/injury risk is the greater concern. He's a risk/reward type.

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#11 Post by onejayhawk »

What do you think of Yelich (K only) for Devers and Liam Hendricks (one option year each)?

J

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

if it means having to toss back Devers and Hendriks after 2022 but the other team can keep Yelich in perpetuity, I'll bet on the Yelich bounceback, but I can see the case for Devers and Hendriks to win this (or next) season.

onejayhawk
Major Leaguer

#13 Post by onejayhawk »

The guy did not go for the Devers/Yelich deal.

I did a get a deal for a second closer. Anthony Santander (+4 option years) for Liam Hendricks (+1).

Santander is basically free to her for three years, with options for two more. I get Hendricks for this year and next.