Hitter/Pitcher Dollar Split for Auction

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Agoetter4
High-A

Hitter/Pitcher Dollar Split for Auction

#1 Post by Agoetter4 »

Is there any good guidance on how to determine the appropriate amount of budget to allocate to hitters vs. pitchers in an auction (i.e. 60/40 vs. 70/30)? Is it based on how many hitting vs. pitching slots in your starting roster? For context, my league is a 5 x 5 roto league (QS instead of W) where we start 9 hitters and 7 pitchers.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Hitter/Pitcher Dollar Split for Auction

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

There are two different considerations.

1. What does the league historically do?

2. What do you want to do?

I know this isn't want you asked, but one of the bigger auction mistakes is wanting to use a split different than the league norm and setting prices with that split. The proper way is setting prices with the league split and buying more/less offense than the split. FOr example, if the league goes 65/35 and you want to go 75/25, don't set it at 75/25 set it at 65/35 and just spend 75% on hitting based on 65/35 prices.

WIth different leagues, there isn't a direct answer - you spend according to your strength and team construction plan, but you do want an idea what it will cost to buy everyone, so you need to estimate the league split.

With standard 14/9 leagues, 65-70 percent is spent on hitting, which is close to 14/23 with a little more to hitting due to variance with pitching.

In 9/7, I'm guessing the split is closer to 60/40, but I'd go heavier on hitting.

Do you have any history for the league?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Agoetter4
High-A

Re: Hitter/Pitcher Dollar Split for Auction

#3 Post by Agoetter4 »

Thanks for the response, Todd.

1.Looking back at previous auctions, the split is around 60% hitting/40% pitching.

2.I usually like to go heavier on hitting but it's tempting to go heavier on top-tier starting pitching this year and try to maybe buy 4 top-20 guys if possible. My reasoning being with only 10 teams and 9 starting hitter spots, I think the replacement level value of hitters might be higher than pitchers? Also, my league switched from Saves to SV + HLD this year which obviously increases the amount of relievers who can help, so I'm thinking less of my budget needs to be allocated to RPs.

I appreciate your input and thanks for your help!