Interesting notes from Seattle

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

Interesting notes from Seattle

#1 Post by Bodhizefa »

Just some thoughts on some happenings in Mariner Kingdom, including trade rumors...

- Anyone else notice that Franklin Gutierrez has become a pretty good offensive player to go along with his otherworldly defensive prowess? He's on pace for a 20/10 season, and now that he's been moved up from the bottom of the batting order, his RBI and Run (well, okay, mostly his RBI) opps are going to start going up up up. I'm not sure if I'm completely sold just yet on his having broken out (mostly because he has a sky high .350 BABIP), but even a .750-.775 OPS centerfielder with his defensive skillset is pretty badass. And my lord, a .280/20/10 outfielder with middle-of-the-order RBI opportunities is looking pretty nice for what I'm assuming was a cheap bid price this Spring.
- I love David Aardsma to death, but I'm selling if he's fetching a handsome trade price. If someone thinks he's a keeper, trade him and net yourself some much deserved value. He's the type of player that an outsider will think is a stud based on the high strikeout rate, but they will overlook the unrealistic homerun rate and somewhat high strand rate. You shouldn't.
- There's wind of a trade brewing. Yuniesky Betancourt was pulled from a rehab start last night in Tacoma, and it wasn't due to injury. I hope like hell that the M's have acquired either Jack Wilson or Freddy Sanchez on the cheap, as both of them are seemingly undervalued by their current organization. AL owners be on the lookout, especially if Sanchez comes over. With Beltre now out until at least September (and possibly for good), and the M's having all kinds of question marks on their infield for next year, either one of these guys would help answer the future problems at various infield spots.
- The M's bullpen behind Aardsma is horrible. There is no one in Triple-A who is a likely boon to the squad, but last year's #1 pick, Josh Fields, has been dominating of late in Double-A. USSMariner.com has also picked up on lefty Nick Hill, who has also been a veritable badass in Double-A. Those two may see some high leverage situations in the big leagues before year's end, and both would be interesting future closer potentials for the team.
- Yes, Brandon Morrow is going to stay in the big league rotation. And yes, it seems that it's for good this time. It's almost tragic how the organization has mishandled his upbringing, but he looks like he might finally settle in as a #3 starter who flashes #2 potential.
- Jose Lopez had a very nice June and is following it up with a pretty good July. His overall numbers still look pretty mediocre, but he's someone you should take a look at in shallow leagues as he's probably available.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.