START Questions

A board to test all the settings...
dannykugler
Triple-A
Preferred Style: Roto AL/NL Only. Current leagues have some custom but not unusual categories.
Also starting to dabble in NFBC style Draft and Hold, but will play a cutline league this year 2019/20 also.

START Questions

#1 Post by dannykugler »

Hello,
I'm using START to track an NFBC D&H league that is drafting now.

After I had built up a good bit of entries (at about round 22) I decided to check the standings calculations to see if they made sense.
I took the projections in START for Hitters who have been drafted and calculated a pivot table for HR, RBI, and SB and compared that to the hitters standings table.
1) It appears the stats for Reserve Picks (i.e., R1, R2, ...) are being included in the team stats.
- I can screen the Reserve Positions by using a Filter in Pivot Table to get what I think are the correct totals.
- If I don't use the filter I duplicate the team stats in the hitter standings and in the "Standings" tab.
2) If my statement in 1) above is true, is START supposed to eliminate the stats from the Reserve Picks?

There is no stat line for Matt Manning pitcher for Detroit. Not surprising since he was in AA last year but thought you might want to know. One of the owners in my league drafted him.

Not sure this is a wise approach in the middle of a draft but since we are drafting relatively early are there any suggestions about incorporating projection updates into the START spreadsheet that is already started?
I have some ideas of the mechanism to do the update but was curious what the experts thought.

Thanks,
Danny

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: START Questions

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

dannykugler wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 12:10 am Hello,
I'm using START to track an NFBC D&H league that is drafting now.

After I had built up a good bit of entries (at about round 22) I decided to check the standings calculations to see if they made sense.
I took the projections in START for Hitters who have been drafted and calculated a pivot table for HR, RBI, and SB and compared that to the hitters standings table.
1) It appears the stats for Reserve Picks (i.e., R1, R2, ...) are being included in the team stats.
- I can screen the Reserve Positions by using a Filter in Pivot Table to get what I think are the correct totals.
- If I don't use the filter I duplicate the team stats in the hitter standings and in the "Standings" tab.
2) If my statement in 1) above is true, is START supposed to eliminate the stats from the Reserve Picks?
START isn't supposed to count reserves in the totals. I can't check until the next update, but I'll fix it.
There is no stat line for Matt Manning pitcher for Detroit. Not surprising since he was in AA last year but thought you might want to know. One of the owners in my league drafted him.
My first run is players I feel will appear in MLB in 2020. Once the NFBC ADP is out, I add anyone drafted. I have not yet done this, but plan on scrubbing it soon, hopefully for the weekend.
Not sure this is a wise approach in the middle of a draft but since we are drafting relatively early are there any suggestions about incorporating projection updates into the START spreadsheet that is already started?
I have some ideas of the mechanism to do the update but was curious what the experts thought.
If you know pivot tables, you are no doubt intimate with vlookup.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Screw it, it's fixed. I'd have Excel dreams if I didn't take care of it.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

dannykugler
Triple-A
Preferred Style: Roto AL/NL Only. Current leagues have some custom but not unusual categories.
Also starting to dabble in NFBC style Draft and Hold, but will play a cutline league this year 2019/20 also.

#4 Post by dannykugler »

Thanks Mr. oops Lord Zola.
I’ll give it a go once the fix is released.
Danny

dannykugler
Triple-A

#5 Post by dannykugler »

Playing with the newest version of START - START121319.xlsx
It looks like two players were dropped that should be there:
Hitter - Mike Zunino C, Tampa Bay Rays
Pitcher - Miguel Castro, Baltimore Orioles

Also Hitter - Adam Jones dropped but since he signed with Orix Buffaloes, I'm assuming that was on purpose.

Thanks,
Danny

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Well that's not good.

I'll figure out why they're gone and make sure they're back for tomorrow's update.