2 questions - mid season projections and streaming pitchers

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

2 questions - mid season projections and streaming pitchers

#1 Post by brooklyn49 »

will there be a ROY project using the midpoint of the season as a basis? What a perfect use of my 4th of July weekend.

second question: was there a thread where weekly pitching matchups was discussed in terms of who would you choose if you had to spot start? Or am I misremembering?
13 Team, Mixed, Rotisserie League with Daily Transactions
525 IP Limit; 60 Games per position
Hitting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Hits, BB, Total Bases, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K's, HR Allowed, Holds, K/BB, QS

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:
SP: M. Minor, K. Maeda, C. Martínez, N. Pearson, J. Montgomery, C. Bassitt
CL: H. Neris, N. Burdi, A. Bass
SU: P. Báez, Y. Petit, B. Treinen

Bench: E. Thames, N. Solak, T. Grisham, J. Berti
DL: J. Verlander, S. Oberg

Re: 2 questions - mid season projections and streaming pitchers

#2 Post by Guest »

ROY project? I'm confused, we've been posting ROY projections all season.

And there were daily threads going on that petered out, but people here are always welcome to start them up....

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Should have this weeks rest of year up later tonight or tomorrow morning.

In lieu of the starting pitching posts, I have been doodling behind the scenes with a spreadsheet that numerically ranks each pitcher based on matchup. I have been using it to do the 2-start piece for mlb.com and have been pleasantly surprised by the results. I am hoping to be able to write up the process this weekend and solicit some discussion as there are several moving parts.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by brooklyn49 »

GaryJ wrote:ROY project? I'm confused, we've been posting ROY projections all season.
Now, now - why make sport of me because I can't type when there is so much from which to choose? Thank goodness someone on the staff can speak "illiterate". Yes, I do miss reading the daily thread. However, looking forward to both the ROY projections and pitching matchup analysis article.

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by brooklyn49 »

Todd Zola wrote: In lieu of the starting pitching posts, I have been doodling behind the scenes with a spreadsheet that numerically ranks each pitcher based on matchup. I have been using it to do the 2-start piece for mlb.com and have been pleasantly surprised by the results. I am hoping to be able to write up the process this weekend and solicit some discussion as there are several moving parts.
My daily transactions league lends itself to streaming pitchers without the need to consider two-starts vs one-start. What's more, with Slowey today joining Peavy on the DL, it is now a necessity for my team to start finding good spot start match-ups from FA pitchers once or twice a week until the regulars can return. This is not a strategy I have been very successful pursuing in the past. So, if in addition to your earlier article on streaming pitchers, you are working on other tools for anaylsis, I say, "please, bring it on soon!"

Hitting:
Pitching:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

To be clear, this is a complete work in progress which will employ empirical methods (at least for now). It will not be an elixir for streamers.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#7 Post by brooklyn49 »

Todd Zola wrote:It will not be an elixir for streamers.
Beautiful choice of words, Todd.

First the concept, then the theory, then the operationalizing, then the data collection, then the empirical testing, then the validation, and someday a high probability tool.

Where are you in the process today? I'll take it.

Hitting:
Pitching: