Only leagues - Positions Used

The home for discussion on league rules, ethics and management/commissioner services.
Trav The Ump

Only leagues - Positions Used

#1 Post by Trav The Ump »

This forum needed a post, been awhile...

Our league is roughly structured off of the original La Rotisserie rules, AL only, 20 games played eligibility and old school rosters;

2 C, 1B, 3B, CI, 2B, SS, MI, 5 OF, DH (not util, DH), 9 pitchers.

With MLB teams going to fewer and fewer bench bats everyone has a guy or two on the end of their rosters that is brutal, second catchers notwithstanding, so I've been toying with the idea of introducing some options to my league mates;

- Drop Catcher 2 and add a 10th pitcher
- Drop Outfielder 5 and add a 10th pitcher
- Either one of the above but make the extra roster spot a "swing spot" which can be either a hitter or pitcher

We've talked about changing DH to Util however I worry that even depletes the waiver wire another 3-4 guys. Our old school rules force some strategy into the game with the 2nd catcher and the required DH (5 games in season to qualify, which does help after a month).

Am I overthinking it or should we look at ways to improve our game?

(Categories is another post altogether) :)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Only leagues - Positions Used

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Several years ago, AL and NL Tout Wars adapted the third option, making OF5 to be a hitter/pitcher utility.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Trav The Ump

#3 Post by Trav The Ump »

Yah that's what gave me the idea, however I'm not sure the pros/ cons of it as I've never played with it? Anything you can weigh in on?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

It was my idea - I think it's genius.

It's worked fine. Most will use 14H/9P but it's nice to have the spot for another arm when injuries strike.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Trav The Ump

#5 Post by Trav The Ump »

Alright, that got a good chuckle out of me.

I'll bring it up at the draft for potential 2020 implementation. I like the added strategy of the swing and the opportunities it opens for trading.