time to jetison Pettite

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

time to jetison Pettite

#1 Post by CubFan »

Playing for this year in a 12 team AL only 5x5 keeper league. I thought I knew what I was getting with Pettite when I drafted him but his high walk rate this season is NOT what I expected. I probably can't get a whole lot of value for him right now so am wondering if trading him for Hughes, Smoltz or even Buchholz is the path to take. I realize Hughes has been sent to the pen but Wang did not impress in his first start. If Hughes goes back into the rotation I suspect his owner will not want to part with him since he was starting to get the hang of this starting pitcher gig. Smoltz will start when they bring him back but I suspect he's going to be a 5-6 inning guy for awhile. Buchholz I'd have to stash in the minors and drop Max Ramirez. There is a chance Buchholz never comes up unless Penny and/or Smoltz fail or get traded.

Thoughts?
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: time to jetison Pettite

#2 Post by viper »

why would anyone deal Hughes, Smoltz or even Buchholz for Pettite? Releasing Pettite for a solid ratio middle man might be your only true option if you feel you cannot stomach his numbers.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Trav The Ump

Re: time to jetison Pettite

#3 Post by Trav The Ump »

I'd agree with Viper, doubtful you can get Hughes or Bucholz for Pettite straight up. I just traded Bucholz for Fuentes last week. Smoltz maybe but I'm thinking the guy who has him took him on the speculative play for a mid season addition anyways so its not like he drafted him simply because he recognized the name. My league the guy who has Smoltz likes him and would definitely want more than Pettite at this point. Just a heads up.