Ben Francisco........tell me about him

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Wrigley

Ben Francisco........tell me about him

#1 Post by Wrigley »

Losing both Manny and Aramis in the same week has me scrambling to fill the void........thank god I picked up JP.

I'm just trying to stay afloat until they both(fingers crossed on AR) come back.

Is Francisco worth a look?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen for your answer.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Ben Francisco........tell me about him

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

He's no stud by any means but, to frame my point of reference, I kept him in my AL only for 10 units. He's actually starting to run this year (which I did not know was prominent in his skill set). He has a little pop, but those numbers get offset by his ownership of Andy Sonnanstine (I think they've become cousins). Wedge seems to like him and he'll probably get a healthy amount of ABs, especially if Grady is down for a prolonged period of time and with Delucci being released.

What sort of risk do you run by picking him up, H.G.? if it's minor, I'd say he's a worthwhile addition.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

At Triple-A, Francisco stole 25 of 30 in 2006 and 22 of 30 in 2007 so it is in his profile, though he had yet to run much in the Majors.

In short, what you see right now is exactly what to expect, he is performing at a level just about perfectly consistent with his history (save for the SB mentioned already.)

This is not to say he won't finish better or worse, just that if you are looking for a baseline level of performance, this is it.

At some point, assuming Laporta is not the full-time DH, the Indians need to find a position for him and with Sizemore and Choo, most thought it would be at the expense of Francisco (though I am admittedly not aware of how Choo's military service plays into this). But that's long term. As DBK says, short term, he's going to play nearly every day.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#4 Post by Tampa Bob »

The Indians are 10 games back in the loss column. That's not out of it at the 1/3 marker but they aren't trending well. They play Division foes for the next 10 games or so then it's off to Inter-league play for a couple of weeks. Reds, Cards, Pirates. If they play poorly now they'll be done.

Now that Peralta is the 3B they're moving DeRosa to the OF more often. Crowe and Francisco seem to be splitting CF while Sizemore is out. If either gets hot I would imagine they'll stuck with the hot hand. Hopefully it'll be Francisco.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

Wrigley

#5 Post by Wrigley »

I've been offered J Cantu for my AJ Burnett

Cantu is an upgrade, right?