Trading Utley for pitching

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
drewminnehan

Trading Utley for pitching

#1 Post by drewminnehan »

I'm in a 20 team 5x5 mixed league and my pitching sucks. I am tied for first in offense, but last in pitching, leaving me 12th overall. I'm considering trading an expiring Chase Utley to improve my pitching. I am looking for a top pitcher and a middle infield replacement.

One offer I am thinking about in my head is:

Chase Utley ($14)
for
Jered Weaver ($20)
Marco Scutaro ($10)
Mat Gamel ($1)

The three guys I'd be getting are not expiring contracts. I'm trying to get teams to throw in a decent potential keeper just in case things don't work out for my team. What do you think about this trade? Am I giving up too much, too little? I've been thinking about my team all weekend so my valuation of all these players may very well be out of whack. Should I just wait it out and see if my pitching improves itself?

This league usually has dump trades throughout the year, and I took advantage of them last year, leaving my team pretty low on young guys, meaning I probably can't get the top guys that most other contending teams could. I'm 30 or so points out of the money, and my keeper situation for next year looks terrible, so I just need some advice on what to do. Should I make a trade like this to try to win now and blow next year, or do I wait and maybe even look to next year in the next few weeks. I know nobody has all the answers, but any help any of you may have is appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Trading Utley for pitching

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Really depends on your current pitching's ability to turn it around on their own -- who do you have?

Personally, I think it is very hard to try to compete and try to rebuild at the same time.

IF your pitching has a chance to right itself, I would lean towards waiting that out. Seems to me Utley would be one of the top trading chips to get the best keepers for next season. Again, personally, I prefer to maximize his return and not waste it on an ill-fated run at the money.

HOWEVER -- depending on your pitching (I'll comment further if you post it), I could see dealing Utley for a TOP TIER starter, also with an expiring contract so worst case, you could deal him for keepers and get a real good return.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

drewminnehan

#3 Post by drewminnehan »

Sorry, I should have thought of posting my pitchers before...

Cliff Lee
Manny Parra
Jonathan Sanchez
Andy Sonnanstine
Scott Feldman
Felipe Paulino
Daniel Bard
Jon Rauch
Rafael Perez
Trevor Hoffman
Huston Street
Kelvim Escobar

I was thinking the same thing about using Utley as a chip later on if this year doesn't turn out the way I hoped. Along with Utley, I also have an expiring Grady Sizemore and Prince Fielder that would be dead weight at the end of a losing season. I would think that even if I make a trade to improve, I still have a long way to go to get in the mix, and then add in that the other contenders will be improving more, I don't want to be trying to win then be stuck in 5th with a bad keeper list next year. I think I'm just at this point in the season where I have a tough decision to make either way. Thanks for your help so far, I appreciate any further advice. Thanks!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

I think it is asking a a lot for that staff to turn it around. Even in a 20-team league it is a bit weak. It's the kind I like to put together, and you've been burned by Parra, Sanchez and Sonnanstine not coming through, but that's the chance you take when going this route. I was hoping to see guys like Lester or Oswalt or even Nolasco.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

drewminnehan

#5 Post by drewminnehan »

I wish I had a guy like Lester or Oswalt in there. I've been trying to make a deal for a week or two, and it seems like nobody is willing to give up what I feel is fair value for a guy like Utley. Unless something new comes along, I'm just going to hold on and see what happens. Hopefully Parra and Sanchez can get it going, hopefully Lee gets some run support, hopefully Escobar comes back strong...

The more I look at things, the less likely it seems to be able to turn things around and make a run. I'll keep looking for opportunities though, and you never know what happens.

My pitching keepers last year were Cliff Lee, Manny Parra, Jonathan Sanchez, and Houston Street (guaranteed contract by his last owner), and it seemed like I filled up my pitching staff awfully quick adding Hoffman and taking risky high upside guys who were cheap like Rauch and Perez. Before I know it, Sonnanstine was like the best pitcher available and the rest is history. I guess I should take this as a learning lesson, but it seems now like there's not much to do but wait. Like I mentioned, I'll keep looking around and we'll see...

I really appreciate your help, thanks!

Hambowen

#6 Post by Hambowen »

With 3 guys that good expiring in a 20 team league I would probably use them to get ready for next year.

With that said if you could deal Utley for a true true stud like Johan or Halladay then they may be able to turn your pitching around. A stud like that and a turnaround from a couple of the guys you have now could put you back in the hunt. Of course that also assumes you have a good cushion and deep enough offense to not lose much ground there.