Any "next in line" closers worth a look?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
deaccat

Any "next in line" closers worth a look?

#1 Post by deaccat »

I picked up Mock, who seems not likely to get a shot anytime soon as they report he has been removed even from the set-up role and Frasor who has pitched well but so has Downs so looks like he might keep the job.

I Lost Ryan to injury so I am hurting for saves, I am in a deep mixed dynasty league so not much still available on the faab. Any body out there I should be scouting?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Any "next in line" closers worth a look?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Each weekend I write the "Closer Carousel" at the end of the FAAB pickup piece posted on the home page.

Short term Aardsma will fill in for Morrow. Beimel is supposed to close for Washington, but Hanrahan will be back at some point. Hawkins will fill in for Valverde. Madson isn't a bad guy to pick up as Lidge is a little nicked.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

whammer
Major League Regular

#3 Post by whammer »

Best guess, who closes in Clev if Wood ever goes on DL?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

whammer wrote:Best guess, who closes in Clev if Wood ever goes on DL?
Whoever is doing the best at the time, but keep an eye on Tony Sipp, he was once and may still be the proverbial "closer of the future."
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Another name to keep an eye on in the Cleveland system is the guy they got from LA last year in the Casey Blake deal - Jon Meloan.

At the major league level? Perez. Forget about Betancourt.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Mickey4081

#6 Post by Mickey4081 »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:Another name to keep an eye on in the Cleveland system is the guy they got from LA last year in the Casey Blake deal - Jon Meloan.

At the major league level? Perez. Forget about Betancourt.
I'd forget about Perez at the moment also. He's one of the their worst pitchers right now.

jkadagio

#7 Post by jkadagio »

Todd,

You think Hanrahan takes the job back and holds it down? I noticed over in the stats area, someone thinks he's got ~28 saves left in him this season. Seems like he'd be a great 'buy low' right about now if that is close to what he finishes with.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

We're adjusting the saves for the next update.

It's a dart throw how many he gets. I am "paid" to put a number on it, but really, who knows?

I do think he is given another chance as Beimel is not closer-worthy and no one else is either. When and how many? No one knows.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

Another name we have mentioned is Andrew Bailey of OAK and A's management is mentioning it as well.

cwk1963

#10 Post by cwk1963 »

I picked up Michael Wuertz in time to get 2 saves last week; thank you very much 8-) .

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

Here is an excerpt from http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 17DF7D.DTL

ZIEGLER BACK: Reliever Brad Ziegler returned after four days with the flu and he is expected to be available tonight against the Angels. Ziegler said he lost 8 pounds and required two sessions of IV fluids Friday, but he didn't think he had swine flu, though the team ran his symptoms by doctors to make sure.

Michael Wuertz has picked up two saves in Ziegler's absence, and Andrew Bailey is likely to get some opportunities to close soon. For the second day in a row, Geren said of the rookie, "He could be the closer; he's moved up that quickly."

cwk1963

#12 Post by cwk1963 »

Wasn't doubting. Just glad to get 2 saves out of Wuertz.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Didn't mean to suggest you were :)

Just happened upon a link with the Bailey info is all.

Another MR doing well is Shawn Kelley of Seattle.

And for those that have no regards for their blood pressure, Baltimore is going committee and Danys Baez is presently throwing well.

cwk1963

#14 Post by cwk1963 »

Gotcha. Missed out on Andrew Bailey. Drawbacks of being in 1st place. But I did get Homer for my minors :) .

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#15 Post by CubFan »

Todd Zola wrote:Didn't mean to suggest you were :)

Just happened upon a link with the Bailey info is all.

Another MR doing well is Shawn Kelley of Seattle.

And for those that have no regards for their blood pressure, Baltimore is going committee and Danys Baez is presently throwing well.
Todd, how long do you think they'll go the "committee" route? I dropped Ray for Baez on Sunday before I saw the news. He had done so poorly I figured I could get him back much cheaper than the $17 I paid on draft day in our AL only league. Ooops, that was pitiful timing. Now I've got to figure out how much to pay for him to get him back......I have no true closers.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Todd Zola »

No idea -- it's anyone's guess. Until someone separates themselves from the pack.

If Ray can get it together, he can hold the gig, just no telling if he can get sharp.

deaccat

#17 Post by deaccat »

I'm sure you know this but Shawn Kelly is going to be out for a month right