Have to cut somebody

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
gafftaper
High-A
Preferred Style: 5x5 AND H2H

Have to cut somebody

#1 Post by gafftaper »

Melvin Mora's coming back from the DL and I have to make room for him on my roster:

I must cut one of the following:
Melvin Mora
Billy Butler
Lyle Overbay
Scott Rolen
or
Matt Wieters

My thinking:
Option 1
Mastersball pre-season projections when paired with my league's scoring system say drop Rolen. However, Overbay and Butler have been HORRIBLE so far so I'm leaning toward one of them. Butler had a good week and seems to be getting it together a bit so I'm thinking cut Overbay?

Option 2 I have Mauer and Pierzinsky starting. So I don't need Wieters. I picked him up late in the draft purely as trade bait for after he's called up. The way my leagues' rules work I have a designated Infielder Reserve and Outfielder reserve spots. I'm forced to fill my only infield reserve spot with Wieters until he comes up. So while he will be valuable down the line he's a serious pain to keep on my roster right now. So cut Wieters, give up the trade bait and keep the guys who can help me now.

What do you think?
Half wisdom. Half Wit.

Mickey4081

Re: Have to cut somebody

#2 Post by Mickey4081 »

Without question, cut Overbay or Rolen. Butler is starting to turn things around and has much more upside than these two has-beens.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Another thought -- if the plan is to deal Wieters, his value may be at its peak now. If he goes 5 for 10 with 3 HR in his first week, will you really get more than you would now? What if he goes 0 for 10 with 5 Ks?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

gafftaper
High-A
Preferred Style: 5x5 AND H2H

#4 Post by gafftaper »

Todd Zola wrote:Another thought -- if the plan is to deal Wieters, his value may be at its peak now. If he goes 5 for 10 with 3 HR in his first week, will you really get more than you would now? What if he goes 0 for 10 with 5 Ks?
An interesting thought however my league isn't a keeper league and owners tend to have a "show me something" attitude when it comes to rookies. It's worth a try though.
Half wisdom. Half Wit.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

gafftaper wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:Another thought -- if the plan is to deal Wieters, his value may be at its peak now. If he goes 5 for 10 with 3 HR in his first week, will you really get more than you would now? What if he goes 0 for 10 with 5 Ks?
An interesting thought however my league isn't a keeper league and owners tend to have a "show me something" attitude when it comes to rookies. It's worth a try though.
To me, all the more reason to deal him now. If he scuffles, which I honestly believe is as likely to happen as raking off the bat, his value plummets.

The whole thing with Wieters is taking advantage of the hype. If your league doesn't generally buy into it, you lose that benefit.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord