J.Rollins Trade advice

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
steve9781

J.Rollins Trade advice

#1 Post by steve9781 »

Looking for people's opinion on this trade offer.....

I give N.Markakis & C.Qualls for J.Rollins. On the surface it sounds like a no brainer, (especially considering my starter is C.Guezman) here's why I'm hesitating.....

1. I only have W.Tavares as a back up OF to replace Markakis. Other options on the wire include, R.Spillborge & F.Lewis

2. Right now I'm tied with 5 other teams in saves. In the 10 team league 3 teams including me have 3 closers the 5 teams have 2 closers and 2 teams have none.

( 2 closing prospects on the wire would be B.Ryan & C.Ray)

Given the above scenerio would you still make the trade?

My current closers are H.Bell C.Qualls & K.Gregg & C.Marmol

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: J.Rollins Trade advice

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

You are approaching it correctly, a trade analysis should be lineup before versus lineup after.

Is Guzman really the best available SS if you didn't make the deal? I like Guzman more than most, but the injury bug is the issue.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

steve9781

#3 Post by steve9781 »

There is almost nothing for SS right now. I've been dealing with this because I traded Hanley right after the draft ( godfather offer got back CC A.Gonzalez & J.Dye for Hanley ) My only other options off the wire are M.Avlies O.Cabrera or A.Cabrera. Liked Guzeman for the high BA.

I've countered with N.Markakis & P.Konerko ( since I can't fit him in the line up ) and the other owner needs power, but I doubt he'll bite ( I wouldn't :) )

I've also thought about countering with Markakis Marmol & Gregg. It will get me out of the whole Cubs mess plus free up 2 roster spots to start speculating on other closer possiblities like Ray or Ryan or whoever becomes available during the year.

Tell me what you think.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

First I don't think that was enough for Hanley.

Second I think everyone's definition of nothing differs. For many, OCab, ACab and Aviles are far more than nothing, though Aviles and OCab are scuffling. Asdrubal is doing well, at least as well as Guzman could be expected to do

It looks like it is Markakis, Asdrubal and Qualls versus Rollins, Tavares and Ryan/Ray.

Your team, your call, but I stand pat.

I usually favor the side getting the best player -- hence why I completely disagree that was a grandfather offer for Hanley.

But even though Rollins is the best player, or at least he should be, the dropoff to Markakis is not that steep.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

steve9781

#5 Post by steve9781 »

Thanks for the advice Todd. Aprreciate the input.

I was pretty happy with the Hanley trade, but I see your point. I just think when your trading the consensus best player you'll never get the best guy back, but I thought the two hitters I got back were real steady, and since I was light on SB to begin with, losing Hanley wouldn't be as steep, although my SS is my only real weakness. The clincher was getting CC since I felt he'd be a huge addition to my staff, have to wait and see if it works out.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

OK, missed the CC part, but now I remember the deal from previous discussions.

It is was perfectly defensible and comes down to matter of taste/philosophy. And besides, what's done is done.

Still don't like the Rollins move though. Maybe because I like the replacement SS more than you -- I tend to have a long term approach and by the end of the season, I am okay with where OCab will be. Asdrubal gives some potential upside, but some risk as well.

steve9781

#7 Post by steve9781 »

Todd,

Couple questions......

1. So out of all the SS I listed you'd take O.Cab from this point forward? Don't have extra roster spot to spare so I'd be dropping C.Guzeman

2. Here is where I'm coming from on the trade, like to hear your opinion. Obviously J.Rollins is a pretty big upgrade over what I'm running out at SS now ( I'm concerned about O.Cab running even less, since OAK is not big on SB, not that he's ahuge SB guy ) Giving up Markakis for him is fine for my team because I'm flush with HR/RBI and light on Runs/SB, the biggest question mark is giving up Qualls. The reason I'm willing to do it, is the availablity of saves as the year progresses. I'll still have 2 closers to stay with the main pack and figure I'll be able to pick up more as the year progresses.

3. Would your opinion on the deal change in either of these two scenarios....

A. Swap out Marmol/Gregg for Qualls
B. If I deal for another closer to replace Qualls ( I have Konerko on bench and he can't play due to my glut of 1b) Percival / Morrow / Corpas / M.Gonzalez are available

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

I can help with individual player evaluation and general concepts -- your team, your call.

Presently, I like Asdrubal more than Orlando, just saying if I had Orlando, I wouldn't be in panic mode.

And the whole Oakland not stealing things is a widespread misconception. If you are successful 75% of the time or so, you'll run. He just hasn't been able to get on first base very much yet is all.

steve9781

#9 Post by steve9781 »

So here is what I did.... I know I gave up a lot but I think my team is better balanced going forward....

Delt Markakis & Qualls for Rollins & traded Konerko for Sherrill & Ray. Konerko has been on my bench all year since I can't sit Howard / Gonzalez or Votto for him. I picked up Spillborgs this morning so he'll slot into Markakis OF slot.

I may not always take your advice, but your input and opinions are always valued. I'm sure it's difficult to be able to give team advice when you have no idea of the complete make up of all the teams in the league, and where people are strong vs weak overall.

Thanks

cwk1963

#10 Post by cwk1963 »

A little late to the party but, if you were flush on HR/RBI why not plug in Taveras from your bench into either an OF or UT spot to get the SB you needed? Then you could have used Guzman's BA to help make up for Taveras' and had Markakis (or 1 of your other OF) as injury backup or trade for later. Seems to me you already had your SB solution on your team.
Last edited by cwk1963 on April 28th, 2009, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

Honestly? I don't want people here to take my advice blindly.

I'd rather they be more interested in the global thought process than which of the Cabrera's I think will hit more HR or steal more bases.

The key to this set of deals is looking at the big picture, the final product and not each deal individually. Too many people focus on "raw value" -- in a vacuum, and lose sight of the end result and that is a better team.

Believe it or not, those that look at things like you did are in the minority.

The player analysis forum is perfect for posing the question "is anyone worried about Rollins? or "Will Asdrubal Cabrera keep it up?"

We have a little saying in these parts -- no one cares about your team but you. It is sort of amazing and perhaps a little unfair. Someone can ask a question about a player and frame it around a trade they want to do and it goes unanswered. Someone else can just ask about that player in general terms and we have a 10 page discussion on him.

Anyway...

good luck, important thing is you like your chances more than you did an hour ago, that's what we play the game.