Free Agent Pickups/Season Content

Ask questions or post comments on all site articles, essays and analysis pieces.
prettyboycm

Free Agent Pickups/Season Content

#1 Post by prettyboycm »

I was wondering why for instance the 2 start pitchers, free agents-In season content is not in the Platinum Plan tools? I think you should make it for just for paying customers. Just my opinion.... Next year I wouldnt pay for your service, I mean the projections and articles are great just think this should also be included as well.. Just my 2 cents. Love the site

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Free Agent Pickups/Season Content

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

The 2-start pitchers is also posted on mlb.com, so that is not an option for Platinum only. Neither is the column I am doing for SI.com, which we will be posting on CREATiVESPORTS.

I made the decision to make the free agent piece public as it is a more newsy, current events type piece. We will soon be supplementing the Platinum package with additional written material, more analytical in nature.

FWIW, this was recently sent out as an e-mail to all registrants and is also posted on the blog.

Admittedly, I am a week behind in rolling out the supplementary content (I say supplementary because it was not part of the advertised Platinum package, but Gary and I feel we want to add onto what we already consider a great value). The delay was due mostly to my not securing our in-season stat feed as quickly as I originally had hoped, and we needed some time to coordinate the stats with our tools (rest of year projections, player/team tracker, year to date values). This is now complete. We should be posting the projections later today as well as the updated team and player tracker. The values earned will begin this weekend.

Now that the stat feed and tools are in sync, we can focus on some of the more in-depth player analysis and strategy that is better suited for our Platinum subscribers.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Quick update -- the rest of year projections and team tracker have been posted.

We should have some Platinum only content soon, likely a discussion on the playing time issues that Gary and I struggled the most with when doing the RofY projections, Gary the AL, me the NL.

I also have an opinion on the Brandon Wood saga I wish to share.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

prettyboycm

#4 Post by prettyboycm »

Thanks for the update and hard work

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#5 Post by alleyoops »

Nice job, as usual, Todd and Gary.

On the RoY projections, any chance you can include a page listing the ones that had significant changes (i.e. where playing time or skill was adjusted)? Figure this is a fairly small percentage of the players each week, and it would be useful to know which were "tweaked" and which were just automatically decremented based on the passage of a week.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

We may be able to flag those going forward. Trust me, as a user I would want that so we will do what we can to include it assuming we can do so in an efficient manner.

I am doing a quick rundown of some of the NL playing time issues I changed. It is not comprehensive by any means, just some quick comments on some of the more involved changes.

#7 Post by Guest »

My strong preference would be to use my written piece weekly to address this. I will attempt to summarize in the spreadsheet as well but I am going to make these issues a real focus of subscriber content.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#8 Post by alleyoops »

GaryJ wrote:My strong preference would be to use my written piece weekly to address this. I will attempt to summarize in the spreadsheet as well but I am going to make these issues a real focus of subscriber content.
Pardon my ignorance of the site organization, but where can these weekly articles be found?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

We are working on setting up the place with JP now, should be available starting this weekend with the updated projections.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#10 Post by alleyoops »

Any ETA on the adds piece for this weekend? Many leagues, including 2 of mine, have pickups on Saturdays, so the ideal timing would be late Friday or early Saturday. I only clamor for the info because it's so good. :-)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

This week's 2-start piece was a monster -- all 30 teams have 7 games next week :shock:

I usually file it Fri afternoon, leaving Fri night for the FAAB piece. I needed some of last night to finish the 2-start piece, all I was able to do was identify the names for the FAAB piece, I am writing the quips now. ETA will be 11:00 AM eastern.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#12 Post by alleyoops »

ROY file still says 4/22 - has it been updated, but the date not changed?

Still looking for the weekly articles by TZ and G...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

This is on me, Gary had the AL done, I had some troubles with the NL side. I'm just about done, will have it sent to the home office this evening.

The first weekly pieces will be discussing the player time changes, early this week.

uharchmajor

#14 Post by uharchmajor »

Todd Zola wrote:This is on me, Gary had the AL done, I had some troubles with the NL side. I'm just about done, will have it sent to the home office this evening.

The first weekly pieces will be discussing the player time changes, early this week.
Any update on this information?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Todd Zola »

It has been sent in for posting, hoping to get info tonight.

I will also be able to post going forward (later this week) which is the final step to streamlining.

It's my fault, I missed my own deadline, if it was sent in on time, it would have gone up.

I'm not sure how, or if anyone will accept whatever I figure out, but I owe you guys some kick ass content the last 5 months.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Todd Zola wrote:I'm not sure how, or if anyone will accept whatever I figure out, but I owe you guys some kick ass content the last 5 months.
No, you don't. You have done yeoman work to date, you're starting a new gig and you haven't exactly got a lot of backup (not to discount Gary, J.P., Lawr and the gang). Plus, bringing MastersBall back from the dead has to count for a lot. Beware, sir ... I would recommend you take a step back ... from this observer's viewpoint, you are getting dangerously close to the old "guarantee you an answer" mode from years' past. Updated 30 team content, daily pitcher streaming, updated projections, free agent acquisitions, board discussions, etc. ... it is a noble effort - please don't burn out on it.

dbk
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

AllstonRockCity

#17 Post by AllstonRockCity »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:I'm not sure how, or if anyone will accept whatever I figure out, but I owe you guys some kick ass content the last 5 months.
No, you don't. You have done yeoman work to date, you're starting a new gig and you haven't exactly got a lot of backup (not to discount Gary, J.P., Lawr and the gang). Plus, bringing MastersBall back from the dead has to count for a lot. Beware, sir ... I would recommend you take a step back ... from this observer's viewpoint, you are getting dangerously close to the old "guarantee you an answer" mode from years' past. Updated 30 team content, daily pitcher streaming, updated projections, free agent acquisitions, board discussions, etc. ... it is a noble effort - please don't burn out on it.

dbk
ditto

it's better to under-promise and over-deliver than it is to over-promise and then disappoint.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by Todd Zola »

Thanks guys -- trust me we understand the under-promise / over-deliver idea and is in fact what we based our first year offerings around. Problem is at least until now, I haven't been able to meet the IN-SEASON under-promise part, forget about the over-deliver.

That said....

Gary and I honestly believe we have hammered out the process to a point it should now be seamless.

We'll let our actions do the talking.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#19 Post by alleyoops »

Really would be nice to have the weekly FA pickup pieces on Fridays, or mid-day Saturday latest...AL/NL/Mixed. Late Saturday and Sunday too late for those who have FA on Saturdays (or at least me). Guess I'm in the minority, though, since I seem to be the only one griping. :-)

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#20 Post by alleyoops »

No pickup piece for the week of 7/19? Will there be one for the week of 7/26? If so, might it be available by 7/25?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#21 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll have the FAAB pickups posted by early Sat. afternoon.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#22 Post by alleyoops »

Thanks, Todd. The piece really helps, especially at this point in the season, when there is much roster-massaging happening.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#23 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll throw this out there now for anyone still interested...

Come September, I am not sure how useful the rest of year projections will be. I am wondering if that time would be better spent tracking the day to day call-ups and how each roster might be affected in terms of playing time. We can use our database to provide a projection for any player that has not yet appeared in the Majors in 2009, that isn't an issue. It just seems like it would be more useful to talk in more general sense with respect to the plethora of moves that will take place some September, as opposed to telling you someone that has hit 25 homers will hit 5 more, or something like that.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#24 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Todd Zola wrote:I'll throw this out there now for anyone still interested...

Come September, I am not sure how useful the rest of year projections will be. I am wondering if that time would be better spent tracking the day to day call-ups and how each roster might be affected in terms of playing time. We can use our database to provide a projection for any player that has not yet appeared in the Majors in 2009, that isn't an issue. It just seems like it would be more useful to talk in more general sense with respect to the plethora of moves that will take place some September, as opposed to telling you someone that has hit 25 homers will hit 5 more, or something like that.
I personally would recommend a primer about WHAT to expect in any given September rather than WHO - things one should be aware of (especially in H2H leagues, I believe)- things such as:
  • Which playoff teams are most likely to change lineups/rotations once they've clinched/are near clinching?
  • Who's playing a lot of games against teams still fighting for playoff berths and who's playing against teams that have already clinched or are just playing out the string?
  • Which free agents on non contenders are likely to see their PT diminish so they can look at options for 2010?
  • Whose minor league systems are still in the playoffs where the call up of the "stud" minor leaguer may be delayed (especially for teams playing out the string)?
  • Which teams will be most likely to hold open tryouts in September?
  • What starters on non contenders are likely to be shut down?
Items along those lines. Some folks may gain some insight as to why certain things are done the way they are in September, and can adjust their thinking accordingly.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#25 Post by Todd Zola »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:I personally would recommend a primer about WHAT to expect in any given September rather than WHO - things one should be aware of (especially in H2H leagues, I believe)- things such as:
  • Which playoff teams are most likely to change lineups/rotations once they've clinched/are near clinching?
  • Who's playing a lot of games against teams still fighting for playoff berths and who's playing against teams that have already clinched or are just playing out the string?
  • Which free agents on non contenders are likely to see their PT diminish so they can look at options for 2010?
  • Whose minor league systems are still in the playoffs where the call up of the "stud" minor leaguer may be delayed (especially for teams playing out the string)?
  • Which teams will be most likely to hold open tryouts in September?
  • What starters on non contenders are likely to be shut down?
Items along those lines. Some folks may gain some insight as to why certain things are done the way they are in September, and can adjust their thinking accordingly.
This actually makes for an excellent idea for my weekly SI.com strategy piece, since I am usually "fumbling" around for topics as the baseball interest turns to football.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#26 Post by alleyoops »

Sounds good to me, as well as the suggested article.

On the ROY projections - I know they've been a lot of work. To tell the truth, I've hardly used them, despite being one who pushed for them. I think what would be a preferable solution (next year) for me would be to highlight significant projection changes weekly (i.e. role changes, playing time changes due to injuries, major revisions in skills/projections), and to only revise the ROY projections globally maybe once per month, or so. Maybe a weekly article similar to the FA one, or in conjunction with it, since there would be some overlap?

cwk1963

#27 Post by cwk1963 »

I think this is a good idea. I would think that most leagues that allow trades would have reached their trade deadline by September 1 so the most help will come from the callups.

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#28 Post by brooklyn49 »

alleyoops wrote:
On the ROY projections - I know they've been a lot of work. To tell the truth, I've hardly used them, despite being one who pushed for them. I think what would be a preferable solution (next year) for me would be to highlight significant projection changes weekly (i.e. role changes, playing time changes due to injuries, major revisions in skills/projections), and to only revise the ROY projections globally maybe once per month, or so. Maybe a weekly article similar to the FA one, or in conjunction with it, since there would be some overlap?
For me, the on going ROY projections have been very useful especially at this point in the season where every weeks sees another one of my pitchers hit the DL. If I can do the research from the projections, it saves everyone the time from reading a "which one of the following 10 pitchers should I pick up?" post.
13 Team, Mixed, Rotisserie League with Daily Transactions
525 IP Limit; 60 Games per position
Hitting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Hits, BB, Total Bases, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K's, HR Allowed, Holds, K/BB, QS

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:
SP: M. Minor, K. Maeda, C. Martínez, N. Pearson, J. Montgomery, C. Bassitt
CL: H. Neris, N. Burdi, A. Bass
SU: P. Báez, Y. Petit, B. Treinen

Bench: E. Thames, N. Solak, T. Grisham, J. Berti
DL: J. Verlander, S. Oberg