NL only - first FAAB - any gems?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

NL only - first FAAB - any gems?

#1 Post by alleyoops »

12-tea 5x5 NL only keeper. Keeper salary is $5 more than winning FA bid. We held our draft on 3/27, and have our first FAAB tonight, to fill our 6-player benches. All teams have holes, and want to add depth. My current plan is to put in a list of 30 players with no bid higher than $2 or $3 ($100 budget). I don't believe there have been any recent changes that have made any player who is available worth a larger bid.

Anyone on the list below that is worth a bid of more than $2? The order listed is how I currently value the guy relative to the other hitters/pitchers, in terms of adding to my team.

Hitters: sizemore, duffy, maxwell, mayberry, jbaker, hart, ross, lambo

Pitchers: ziegler, nramirez, phelps, billingsley, grilli, beachy, abarrett, harang, strop, cahill, bastardo, wada, buchanan, koehler, twood, ctorres, vincent

Captain Hook

Re: NL only - first FAAB - any gems?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Not even sure I would roster most of those guys but assuming this is for bench spots I like

Hitters - Maxwell and Duffy (be he needs an injury to get at bats)

Pitchers - I do like Phelps IF he is in the rotation and Cahill in a new city with new team might be playable

Ross was cut by AZ so don't waste money/spot there

Tig

#3 Post by Tig »

with today's trade of Kimbrell, you'd likely do good to grab Grilli in the next round if nobody took him.. Cameron Maybin now likely has a full time job as opposed to a #5 OF'er, so if he is still out there, grab him.. (i realize round 1 was last night, but not sure how often they process... if nightly, you may be able to jump on them tonight before others see the news and are able to react.)

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#4 Post by alleyoops »

Thanks for the replies. Grilli went for $2 and I only bid $1 - grrrr. Maybin was already owned. These were for bench spots. They run weekly.

The top bids were Uggla 12, Koehler 9, Lambo 8, Duffy 7, Hart 7, Motte 6, RBetancourt 6, Niewenhuis 6, Baker 5, Mayberry 5, Spangenberg 5, Vogelsong 5, Maness 5, Maxwell 5, Vincent 5, Billingsley 4, Cahill 4, LJimenez 4, Buchanan 4, Delgado 4, Treinen 4.

Since my highest bid was 3, I got none of those. I wound up with Ziegler 3, NRamirez 2, Phelps 2, Harang 1, Beachy 1, TWood 1.

Phelps won't be in the rotation to start the year, but that rotation isn't exactly stellar. Fernandez will be back at some point, though, so Phelps is really #7. I'll use the two RPs when my SPs have poor matchups. Harang and Wood probably are worthless, but I'll start them in good matchups early on. Beachy has some upside if/when he makes it back, and possibly appeal to a dumper if he starts strong when he's back.