12 team AL only 5x5 keepers

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Tig

12 team AL only 5x5 keepers

#1 Post by Tig »

12 team AL only 5x5.. Can keep 3-7... $270 cap
14 hitters & 10 pitchers.. No reserves taken at the auction.. (5 man bench added after season starts through waivers)
Must be on the 25 man roster to be eligible to be drafted. (Minor Leaguers can be kept, but not bought at the auction)
If player kept starts in minors or on the DL, they are replaced at the end of the auction.
Salaries go up $5 each year kept.

Our league is holding an expansion draft as we have 3 new owners, so unfortunately, there isn't much ability to package players to upgrade keepers.

I feel like I have 13 viable options, but have to narrow it down to 7.

Based on mastersball projections, the top 7 return the most value. However, are they the right 7 to keep?

Contract ** Player *** MB Projection *** +/-Value
$10 Mookie Betts $28 +$18
$5 Rusney Castillo $23 +$18 (possibly starting the year in the minors)
$10 George Springer $27 +$17
$18 Michael Brantley $30 +$12
$14 Josh Donaldson $22 +$8
$9 Jake McGee $13 +$4 (starting year on the DL)
$16 David Robertson $19 +$3

$10 Yordano Ventura $12 +$2 (Opening Day Starter!)
$10 Xander Bogaerts $10 $0
$10 Byron Buxton $9 -$1 (minor leagues, will he come up early enough to warrant a keeper slot and possess value? will be a $15 keeper next year)
$15 Avisail Garcia $13 -$2
$10 Drew Pomeranz $4 -$6
$5 Joey Gallo -$9 -$14 (minor leagues, will he get more than a cup of coffee in September? would be a $10 keeper next year)

league/misc notes:

Closers go for crazy dollars. most will be between $27-$35 at the auction... Do I still keep McGee even though starting the year on the DL?

I finished 2nd last year, so have the 11th pick in the minor league draft, so the only way I will be able to roster Castillo, Buxton, Gallo going forward is to use a keeper slot on them and replace them with a player at the end of the auction. Obviously not an issue with Castillo if they trade Victorino or Craig and don't send him down...

Jose Altuve $34 and Edwin Encarnacion $31 are a couple of top players that I know are being kept to give you..

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

RandyKutcherHair

Re: 12 team AL only 5x5 keepers

#2 Post by RandyKutcherHair »

I feel like you have 4 locks to keep:
$10 Mookie Betts $28 +$18
$10 George Springer $27 +$17
$18 Michael Brantley $30 +$12
$14 Josh Donaldson $22 +$8

I would also keep Castillo at $5. After that is is really a toss up for me. Maybe go with Ventura $10 and Garcia $15 for the last two. I know they aren't going to give you a big return on value; but are solid and I would say most likely to meet or exceed their value. McGee looks to be out for April; but could also be worth the risk. The Twins are notoriously slow at promoting prospects to the bigs. Might be another year before Buxton comes up. If Gallo can repeat he will be the hot name next year.

What are you thinking?

Tig

Re: 12 team AL only 5x5 keepers

#3 Post by Tig »

Leagues Keepers: Nobody of real significant value kept thus far in my opinion, other than Trout, Abreu.... So auction will be plentiful...

I've tentatively protected: Springer, Betts, Donaldson, Brantley, Castillo, Robertson and Ventura.

Does the rest of the leagues keepers change who you'd keep?

Team 1: Mike Trout $20, Sonny Gray $15, Garrett Richards $12, Carlos Carrasco $10, Drew Hutchinson $8, Luke Gregerson $7, Zack Britton $10
Team 2: Rougned Odor $10, Danny Santana $10, Lorenzo Cain $12, Manny Machado $20, Neftali Feliz $10, Fernando Rodney $17, Taijuan Walker $10
Team 3: Jose Abreu $31, Brian Dozier $18, Cody Allen $14, Dillan Betances $7
Team 4: Conor Gillaspie $6, Alcides Escobar $22, Edward Mujica $10
Team 5: Brett Cecil $6, Collin Mchugh $10, Joe Smith $7, Brock Holt $10, Brad Miller $15, Colby Lewis $10, Jeremy Guthrie $10
Team 6: Oswaldo Arcia $15, Billy Burns $5, Francisco Lindor $5, Micah Johnson $5, Sean Doolittle $7, James Paxton $6, Koji Ueharra $13
Team 7: Kenny Vargas $10, Miguel Sano $5, Trevor Bauer $10, Glen Perkins $25
Team 8: Edwin Encarnacion $31, Jed Lowrie $19, Lonnie Chisenhall $11, JD Martinez $10, Ryan Rua $5, Danny Duffy $10 (not confirmed, but expected to be his keepers)
Team 9: ME
Teams 10, 11, & 12 - Expansion Draft.....