David Hernandez - Baltimore

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

David Hernandez - Baltimore

#1 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Was wondering if anyone had any information/scouting on Hernandez. All I know is what I see in his numbers...high Ks high BBs last year, still high Ks better command to date this year. I am a bit intrigued because (A) the Baltimore rotation stinks and (B) he is on their 40 man roster.

Any scouting info out there?
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

Re: David Hernandez - Baltimore

#2 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Okay...so I'm guessing no one has any scouting information on Hernandez, so I figured I would post what I see (stats only). Since I first posted Rich Hill has come off the DL to take Hendrickson's spot, while James Berken has been called up to take Eaton's spot. All in all the O's rotation still stinks. From what I've read Berken has questionable major league stuff and Bergesen has been underwhelming since being called up, so I still see two possible holes he could slide into.

This is what we know about Hernandez in AAA in 2009:
Age: Recently turned 24 (an appropriate age for his level)
40-man roster?: Yes (no move required, a definite plus)
K/9: 12.5 (excellent)
BB/9: 2.7 (solid...definite improvement from 2008)
HRs: 3 (very good considering the next stat)
GroundOuts/AirOuts: 0.69 (flyball pitcher in Balt could be scary, but there is a solid defense in the OF)
BAA: .206

AA stats from 2008:
K/9: 10.6
BB/9: 4.5
HRs: 10
GroundOuts/AirOuts: 0.74
BAA: .217

It should be worth noting that he recently pitched 7.1 innings of shut out ball that included 14 Ks and more importantly 0 BBs!!! I'm not sure what the rational was in picking Berken over Hernandez, but if he keeps pitching like this in AAA he will be up before the All-star break. Then the question becomes whether he can translate his success to the majors. I'm still skeptical about his control, but he is definitely worth monitoring (especially in AL-only).
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: David Hernandez - Baltimore

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

I can only add more "numbers" stuff, not really any scouting per se.

1. Word is he is more Uehara insurance for Thursday than anything

2. He has improved his B-rate this season, fueling his success so far in Triple-A. The key will be sustaining that at the next level. I have no "reasons" why -- new approach, refinement of repertoire, etc, just that up until 2008, his crutch was command.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord