Hermida or B Wood worth an add here?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
jkadagio

Hermida or B Wood worth an add here?

#1 Post by jkadagio »

12 Team 5X5 mixed roto. Hermida and Brandon Wood were both dropped to the WW last night. Trying to determine if I should add either. This is a keeper league where either guy would cost me around a 12th rounder next year.

Hermida has started the year nicely, just don't know that he'd get many AB's ahead of who I have in the OF/UT now. Wood intrigues me as a longer term answer @ 3B for my squad, that is partially my rationale for rostering Stewart though. Thought I read Woods is out of options though, so he may be here for good. Not sure who I'd drop for either, probably Rasmus. That being said, Rasmus is a rd18 keeper next year, and I'm a St Louis homer who'd like to keep him if possible.

Current roster is below. Currently in 1st, with the only real weakness SB's to date.

C Suzuki
1B Fielder
2B Phillips
SS Jeter
3B Reynolds
OF Sizemore, CLee, Ibanez
UT Hawpe, Adam Jones
Reserve Hafner, Ian Stewart, Rasmus

SP Sabathia, Billingsley, Gallardo, CYoung, Maholm
RP Bell, Capps
Reserve Wandy, David Price

DL Doumit

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Hermida or B Wood worth an add here?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Wood can still be sent down, options refer to the number of years a player can be shuttled between the Majors and Minors, not the number of times.

Take a look at the normal 12th round picks in your league from the past -- do either look as though they could be of that quality next season? I am more down on Wood than others, as a recent blog post suggests. I don't see how someone that can't get AB in the current state of the Angels hitting is going to be someone you want to freeze for a 12th pick next season.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I would look at keeping Hermida, but that's based more on sizable gut feel than demonstrable metrics. Wood, on the other hand, to me, is a lot like Gio Gonzalez - two guys with tremendous potential who know what they have to do to succeed at the ML level, but just haven't been able to put it together so far - Wood with his Ks and Gio with his control. They may one day come to that "AHA!" moment where it all falls into place - but your intake of Maalox will increase proportionately until they reach that moment - if they ever do.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

cwk1963

#4 Post by cwk1963 »

Hermida for me too. I feel less and less confident Wood is going to realize his potential.

drapes

#5 Post by drapes »

I'd probably consider Hermida in place of Pronk. I know he's been hitting well, but I'm not buying in a keeper league. If you aren't starting him now, why would you hold him over a potential keeper like Hermida?

And no... don't even think about cutting Rasmus.

Hambowen

#6 Post by Hambowen »

Based on your team makeup I would go with Wood. I understand everyones thoughts that hermidia makes more sense but 3b is by far your weakest spot and not sure if Hermidia will ever be active unless there is an injury on your team. Sizemore is a stud, Ibanez, Lee and Hawpe are 3 of the most reliable and consistent players in fantasy baseball and Adam Jones is much better young player then Hermidia.

3b you have Reynolds who could easily be replaced. I would go with Wood and hope either him or Ian Stewart turn into a player this year so that you can improve your 3b spot.

If your asking who is the better player right now : Hermidia

Who has the better chance of making a impact on your team: Wood