Gio Gonzalez

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Gio Gonzalez

#1 Post by viper »

This is an AL-only league. 5x5 but IP replaces Ks. 1100 minimum IP required. NO bench and players who start the season in the minors cannot be reserved.

I drafted Gio Gonzalez and have kept him on my roster so far. Our FAAB is Wednesday evening. I have 5 healthy starters and 3 MR/Closers. I am slightly behind the pace for 1100 (89 thru Monday) and will likely drop further unless I do something. There are ZERO starters of note but several 3-4 IP a week MRs with solid ratios.

If Gio has a good chance to come up by mid-May I am willing to wait but I have no inkling as to what the A's will do. I read he is the 6th starter but they don't need a 6th starter. Does anyone have any insights on Gio's chances of coming up or any other thoughts that might help?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

Re: Gio Gonzalez

#2 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Who knows what the A's have in mind, but I think you are safe to release Gio. I think Oakland would turn to Gallagher before going to Gio. I know DBK has mentioned this before, but I think it warrants mentioning again...why has a "prospect" been traded so many times? I have a feeling he is more of Casey Fossum type that would be better suited for the bullpen. Just my opinion. Good luck!
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

leesgreenberg

#3 Post by leesgreenberg »

Here in the bay area, there is no talk of him coming up soon, short of catastrophic injury.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

As alluded to elsewhere in this thread, I am not Gio's biggest fan. Objectively? His biggest problem is his control. He supposedly has one hellacious curveball but he can't get the walks out of his system. Even this year, he's thrown 7 innings at AAA so far and has walked 5 ...only given up two hits, but walked 5. Also keep in mind Sacramento is a pitcher's park ... even in the PCL. So there should be a little less worry about throwing strikes there than let's say, Albuquerque. So, IMHO, pitching there should be an inducement to not nibble and throw strikes ...unless you just can't.

I would keep an eye on him as the season progresses and hope he rights himself - but I would not count on seeing him unless someone loses it at the major league level or someone gets hurt.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams