NFBC Slow Draft Advice

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

NFBC Slow Draft Advice

#1 Post by Black Sox »

This is my first time playing in the NFBC. I'm currently in round 15 just looking for some opinions on my draft so far and areas of focus. My strategy going in was to wait on SP and 2B and build a solid foundation in hitting. Pay for 2 2nd tier closers and speculate on the rest. My plan wasn't to take Hamilton but at the time he seemed like best option. Betts and Tomas are kind of home run plays which I figure you need to take if you want a chance at not only 1st place in the league but in the overall as well.

C S Perez
1B J Abreu
3B E Longoria M Machado
SS I Desmond
OF Y Puig B Hamilton M Betts Y Tomas

P T Ross C Mchugh D Fister J Weaver
RP D Storen K Uehara
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Captain Hook

Re: NFBC Slow Draft Advice

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Black Sox wrote:This is my first time playing in the NFBC. I'm currently in round 15 just looking for some opinions on my draft so far and areas of focus. My strategy going in was to wait on SP and 2B and build a solid foundation in hitting. Pay for 2 2nd tier closers and speculate on the rest. My plan wasn't to take Hamilton but at the time he seemed like best option. Betts and Tomas are kind of home run plays which I figure you need to take if you want a chance at not only 1st place in the league but in the overall as well.

C S Perez
1B J Abreu
3B E Longoria M Machado
SS I Desmond
OF Y Puig B Hamilton M Betts Y Tomas

P T Ross C Mchugh D Fister J Weaver
RP D Storen K Uehara
1) You are woefully short on catchers - I like to have four in this format - at least 3 starters
2) Don't wait too long on 2B - deeper than SS for sure but you need several at each infield position and you have ONE MI
3) I like your OF but realize there are tons of those
4) I usually plan on 25 hitters and 25 pitchers

Black Sox
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by Black Sox »

I probably have waited a little long for 2B but I felt like the choices vs the SP at the same spot made more sense to grab SP especially since my top SP is Ross. My plan all along is to mix and match at SP anyways so I will continue to go heavy.

At C you normally have your 2nd one by rd 15?? Only one team in the league has two at this point knew from what I've read I'll need 4 just figured I'd go cheap at my C position thought it made more sense to grab someone like betts over R Martin types.

I like my OF so far too but I feel like I'm going to need to have a little extra depth in case betts and Tomas don't pan out.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

The issue with mix-and-match pitching is you need a strong foundation, which I'm sorry but you don't have. Add in Weaver and Fister have low K totals and I see SP as a bigger issue than catchers.

Some catcher gambits are Rene Rivera. Avila and James McCann. Hank Conger. Caleb Joseph -- there are some interesting late catchers.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Black Sox
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by Black Sox »

Your prob right Todd, I was hoping to have a little bit better foundation but I'm still hopeful with enough depth I can give myself enough options on a week to week basis. At this point it's all I can really hope for. :lol: thanks for your input. Any advice other than to continue to hammer SP in the next few rounds?
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc