Rolen or Luke Scott

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CJMOMM

Rolen or Luke Scott

#1 Post by CJMOMM »

Need a utility player for a 14 team mixed league. Best options are Rolen or Scott. The league has an unlimited DL and you can replace any guy that goes on the DL. Thoughts?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Rolen or Luke Scott

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I'm not sure how Rolen's back hence performance will hold up on the turf so my pick would be Scott.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

cwk1963

#3 Post by cwk1963 »

I'd ride the hot early hand in Rolen.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

cwk1963 wrote:I'd ride the hot early hand in Rolen.
Curious, how do you determine hot hand?

Serious question here as I think predicting short term performance is something that most would like to be more scientific, but I am not sure it can be.

PAST 7 DAYS

Rolen 18AB .222BA 1HR 2R 2RBI
Scott 24AB .333BA 1HR 3R 3RBI

Last week, Scott "hotter"

SEASON

Rolen 46AB .326BA 2HR 9R 5RBI
Scott 45AB .267BA 2HR 5R 6RBI

For the season, Rolen is "hotter"

I don't know that there is a RIGHT answer

When riding streaks, I prefer to use BABIP, contact rate and walk rate to help determine "hot" from lucky.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

cwk1963

#5 Post by cwk1963 »

This early in the season I'm more apt to take a chance on an injury, etc. - before someone else catches that lightning in a bottle. Rolen has looked good for the season so far so I'm willing to take the chance on him. If he doesn't keep it up or stay healthy I think somebody else will be available in a 14 team league.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

With specific respect to Rolen, I personally think it is more of when, not if -- balky backs and turf do not mix.

So then the question becomes who is a better option, a HEALTHY Rolen (who then gets replaced) or Scott.

Or even more complete

Rolen + his replacement versus Scott.

An argument can be made either way, and as implicated, a lot depends on the REPLACEMENT for Rolen. If the quality remains pretty good, the Rolen argument is stronger.

All that said, I am sticking with Scott, who I feel is better than Rolen, even if Rolen is healthy and I will go with history (albeit recent) versus a couple weeks.