Thinning a crowded outfield

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

Thinning a crowded outfield

#1 Post by brooklyn49 »

Didn't draft a very good OF so have been trying to piece together a respectable group ever since. Now I am carrying just too many to play and its clogging my lineup and driving me crazy. I need 4 OF; one of them must have CF eligibility. Daily transactions, mixed league, 12 team; rotisserie scoring; 9 hitting categories: runs, hits, HR, RBI, BB, BA, OPS, Total Bases and SB.

My team has no speed, so my challenge is to make up in the other categories the 10 or 11 points I will lose by finishing last in SB's.

Would appreciate some thoughts from the staff on getting down to the best 4 or 5 OF.

Brad Hawpe (is a given)

Jeremy Hermida
Delmon Young
Fred Lewis
Jason Werth
Mike Cameron
Elijah Dukes is a FA option
13 Team, Mixed, Rotisserie League with Daily Transactions
525 IP Limit; 60 Games per position
Hitting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Hits, BB, Total Bases, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K's, HR Allowed, Holds, K/BB, QS

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:
SP: M. Minor, K. Maeda, C. Martínez, N. Pearson, J. Montgomery, C. Bassitt
CL: H. Neris, N. Burdi, A. Bass
SU: P. Báez, Y. Petit, B. Treinen

Bench: E. Thames, N. Solak, T. Grisham, J. Berti
DL: J. Verlander, S. Oberg

cwk1963

Re: Thinning a crowded outfield

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

Cameron for CF. In addition Hawpe, Werth and either Young or Lewis. I prefer Young.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

An issue is most of these guys have speed as a good chunk of their value. It might be had to find a CF with no SB potential, but dealing Werth for a guy with more pop might work, even if the guy isn't as valuable in terms of raw value due to his lack of speed. Of course, with 9 cats, the market for speed is not going to be what it is in 4x4 or 5x5.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Picking up Dukes isn't a bad option, for the sole reason of trading him. Now I realize picking up a waiver wire guy as trade bait doesn't make sense, but what you are doing is hoping he takes hold of the available CF opportunity and excels, so with his name recognition, he will become a commodity.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord