NL only keepers

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

NL only keepers

#1 Post by alleyoops »

It's still quite a while before our keeper deadline, but some trade activity has begun, so I've taken a quick look at prospective keepers. We can keep at most 6. It's 12 teams, 5x5, 260 budget. Inflation's there, but not overwhelming. I sold out last year to make a run at the championship, but managed to preserve some who may be keepers.

Mesoraco 19
Frazier 20
Byrd 11
Span 21
Jay 11
RLiriano 1
Hamels 24
Kershaw 43
Francisco Rodriguez 6
Wheeler 6

I'm currently thinking Frazier, Kershaw, Wheeler, Byrd. Then KRod (depends on him getting a closer gig), Liriano (if he's looking like he'll be a starter at keeper time), Mesoraco (if one or both of the previous 2 guys doesn't work out).

A few teams have sent out feelers wanting to do 2 or 3 for 1 keepers. They'd almost certainly want Frazier from me. I usually don't like to do those kind of deals, but this list isn't very stellar.

Thoughts?

Captain Hook

Re: NL only keepers

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

alleyoops wrote:It's still quite a while before our keeper deadline, but some trade activity has begun, so I've taken a quick look at prospective keepers. We can keep at most 6. It's 12 teams, 5x5, 260 budget. Inflation's there, but not overwhelming. I sold out last year to make a run at the championship, but managed to preserve some who may be keepers.

Mesoraco 19
Frazier 20
Byrd 11
Span 21
Jay 11
RLiriano 1
Hamels 24
Kershaw 43
Francisco Rodriguez 6
Wheeler 6

I'm currently thinking Frazier, Kershaw, Wheeler, Byrd. Then KRod (depends on him getting a closer gig), Liriano (if he's looking like he'll be a starter at keeper time), Mesoraco (if one or both of the previous 2 guys doesn't work out).

A few teams have sent out feelers wanting to do 2 or 3 for 1 keepers. They'd almost certainly want Frazier from me. I usually don't like to do those kind of deals, but this list isn't very stellar.

Thoughts?
If I had to freeze keeper from this team today the six would be
Kershaw
Wheeler
Mesoraco
Frazier
for sure then with less conviction
Hamels & Byrd Unless as you say you have a closing KRod who would replace Hamels IF I can't trade him

Liriano has almost zero chance to start the year in San Diego on the bench and will probably play every day in the minors waiting for an injury or trade to make the Padres look at his numbers ... well if he isn't traded himself.

Not keen on trading Frazier BUT if it gets you back a better player then certainly possible. I think Hamels is the player you want to try and trade now even talking up not only his good numbers but the fact the he will likely be dealt to a contending team this summer.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by alleyoops »

I floated Hamels, but no takers. I think there's concern that he'll be dealt to the AL either prior to our keeper deadline or prior to the season. His salary's probably about at value, as well, so it's hard for someone to give up a lesser player at a bargain salary.

As a reminder, my current planned keepers are Frazier 20, Kershaw 43, Wheeler 6, and 3 out of Byrd 11, Mesoraco 19, Hamels 24, KRod 6, Span 21.

I posted my potential keepers, figuring I might get some discussion about a 2 or 3 for 1, where I give up Frazier 20 or Wheeler 6. One team has some excess, and I have offered Wheeler 6 for deGrom 10 and Melancon 13. Does this trade improve my keepers? I could probably get KDavis 11 instead of one of the others, but I think I prefer the other two. He also has Teheran 13, who he might include instead of one of the others. I kind of expect him to counteroffer with Melancon and my choice of KDavis or Teheran. Any opinions on these various trade options?

Update 2/19: He turned down Wheeler for deGrom and Melancon. Melancon is now off the table, as part of his first 5 keepers. What do you think of Wheeler 6 for deGrom 10 and KDavis 11 or Teheran 13. If you could choose any 2 of deGrom, KDavis and Teheran, who would you choose?

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by alleyoops »

My offer was rejected, and he countered with deGrom 10 and Teheran 13 for Wheeler 6. This looks like it probably favors me for this year, but I turned it down, as I think Wheeler has a better chance of having appeal to dumping owners than the other two, and I'd rather have an extra hitter or closer keeper, rather than another SP.

I'm curious about your views of these guys relative to each other in my league's context (and my keeper situation):

Wheeler 6
deGrom 10
Teheran 13
KDavis 11
Melancon 13