Too Much Of A Good Thing?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
UncleBill
Major League Regular

Too Much Of A Good Thing?

#1 Post by UncleBill »

This topic is intended to generate discussion for mixed league keeper auctions... and more or less for leagues that go a little deeper as my league is 14 teams with 5x5 scoring (OBP replaced AVG).

With fewer than I would like value keepers I'm planning on holding more of my star players at what I consider their fair market values... not a problem except it leaves me cutting 1 player that I don't want to cut. Normally I'd go with the easy profit cheap guy but with a couple other rosters shaping up to have lots more money than myself I was thinking its better to lock up a star for fair value and play the waiting game to get my value players in the 2nd half of the auction.

Obviously there's usually a breaking point for how many stars you can buy and still have enough $$ to fill out your roster without too many awful end gamers. Please share any thoughts and i'll chime in with more info if needed but just wanted to get the ball rolling:

Our budget is 275 so players salaries are a little higher than normal and we only get 8 keepers. Gotta cut one. Thanks in advance!

Laroche 1
Walker 3
Hanley 31
Donaldson 20
Bautista 37
C Gomez 30
Puig 20

C Sale 18
Smyly 5

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Too Much Of A Good Thing?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Cutting LaRoche and Walker -- I prefer the open roster spots. I'll be able to get their equivalent back in the end game.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

UncleBill
Major League Regular

#3 Post by UncleBill »

Really?

LaRoche has a potential value of 18 or 19 in the OBP standard value sheet for MIX 15. Walker is around 10 so I could see that one.

but to really expect to do better than 17 dollar value profit? isn't that a little silly?

No trade market in the league for Hanley at 31 but I know that wont mean much when the auction opens... except that Tulo and Desmond are already free agents.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Mixed leagues are whacked. I'm not in OBP mode so that may be skewing it.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

I would keep LaRoche and cut Hanley - your price for him is about double what he earned last year and playing in Fenway isn't going to fix everything. If you love him in a Red Sox uniform you should be able to get him back for less - if not you can buy two players for those dollars

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#6 Post by mjlewis »

I have a very similar question, except that I'm working through it from the standpoint of trying to set up a trade.

18-team mixed, 5x5 using OBP. I can keep 10 and I have about 15 decent candidates. We have huge minor league rosters so inflation is very high - Miggy was actually kept at $60 last year, which seems a bit crazy to me, but top-end talent does go pretty expensive - EE was $45, Braun $50, etc. Most of what you'd normally consider first round picks were kept at highly depressed prices (Trout $5, Stanton $16, McCutchen $7, Bautista $14, etc.)

I'm talking to someone about a $1 Teheran and he initially asked for Abreu $31, Seager $15, Daniel Norris $4/minors. We've negotiated a bit and I can either get a first-round minors pick thrown in (which is a pretty big deal) or I might be able to swap out Abreu for Duda $5. Should I be happy about that? Trading Duda is probably giving up a bit of profit, but I'm worried that with a big league that I might not be able to spend my money effectively in the auction.

Players I know will be in the auction this year include McCutchen, Bautista, VMart, Frazier, AGon, JUpton, Fielder, Sale, Bumgarner, Price, Scherzer.

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

mjlewis wrote:I have a very similar question, except that I'm working through it from the standpoint of trying to set up a trade.

18-team mixed, 5x5 using OBP. I can keep 10 and I have about 15 decent candidates. We have huge minor league rosters so inflation is very high - Miggy was actually kept at $60 last year, which seems a bit crazy to me, but top-end talent does go pretty expensive - EE was $45, Braun $50, etc. Most of what you'd normally consider first round picks were kept at highly depressed prices (Trout $5, Stanton $16, McCutchen $7, Bautista $14, etc.)

I'm talking to someone about a $1 Teheran and he initially asked for Abreu $31, Seager $15, Daniel Norris $4/minors. We've negotiated a bit and I can either get a first-round minors pick thrown in (which is a pretty big deal) or I might be able to swap out Abreu for Duda $5. Should I be happy about that? Trading Duda is probably giving up a bit of profit, but I'm worried that with a big league that I might not be able to spend my money effectively in the auction.

Players I know will be in the auction this year include McCutchen, Bautista, VMart, Frazier, AGon, JUpton, Fielder, Sale, Bumgarner, Price, Scherzer.
With the dearth of home runs I wouldn't be trading Abreu unless it was for a huge return. So....

IF you can trade less for Teheran I would do it BUT I would not trade Duda, Seager and Norris for him - you are giving away too much .... remember that Teheran's W potential will be depressed with the rest of the poor roster Atlanta will be rolling out.

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#8 Post by mjlewis »

It would mean that I'd free up a keeper slot though - i.e. it'd also let me keep someone I'm thinking of cutting, like Derek Holland $4 or Kipnis $16. That may not be much of a gain though.

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

If you are going to cut them just cut them (or trade them)

That doesn't affect what you do with better players

UncleBill
Major League Regular

#10 Post by UncleBill »

Perry

I am definitely keeping LaRoche at 1 dollar... but more to what Todd said between Walker 3 and Hanley 31 he advised going with Hanley I assume bc its a mixed league and Hanleys position and elite potential.

Meanwhile Walker is the more obvious profit with an estimated production level of 10 to 13 dollars.

Either player I keep I would be eschewing the early elite players in the draft as I'd either have $140 of my original $275 or with Hanley only about $110 of my $275.

It just means I'd be shopping all draft for guys in the 5 to 10 dollar range which is fine except it narrows my scope of potential bargains. If I had Hanleys money I may still spend it on him (unlikely since he'll prob go a few bucks more) but even if I don't I could spread it around on a couple bargains in the 15 range like a Zobrist or Zimmerman.

My biggest concern in all this is how bad the bottom of the SS pool is this year. In our auction will be Tulo and Desmond and obviously maybe Hanley.

Ok... mull it and let me know what you think now. I'm only thinking so much about this bc there's a few teams who will have big payrolls going in and need to spend on stars thus why I said I wont be bidding on anyone elite outside of the SS position if I cut Hanley.

Captain Hook

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

Caught Looking wrote:Perry

I am definitely keeping LaRoche at 1 dollar... but more to what Todd said between Walker 3 and Hanley 31 he advised going with Hanley I assume bc its a mixed league and Hanleys position and elite potential.

Meanwhile Walker is the more obvious profit with an estimated production level of 10 to 13 dollars.

Either player I keep I would be eschewing the early elite players in the draft as I'd either have $140 of my original $275 or with Hanley only about $110 of my $275.

It just means I'd be shopping all draft for guys in the 5 to 10 dollar range which is fine except it narrows my scope of potential bargains. If I had Hanleys money I may still spend it on him (unlikely since he'll prob go a few bucks more) but even if I don't I could spread it around on a couple bargains in the 15 range like a Zobrist or Zimmerman.

My biggest concern in all this is how bad the bottom of the SS pool is this year. In our auction will be Tulo and Desmond and obviously maybe Hanley.

Ok... mull it and let me know what you think now. I'm only thinking so much about this bc there's a few teams who will have big payrolls going in and need to spend on stars thus why I said I wont be bidding on anyone elite outside of the SS position if I cut Hanley.
Todd's current projection for Hanley Ramirez is $27 so while there may be some degree of inflation in your league I don't want to pay more than I think he can earn and would rather have the money to buy Desmond or Hanely in the auction or to shift dollars to one elite player at another position or spread it around several other buys.

With 14 teams there are low level shortstops I would be perfectly happy to roster (Bogaerts, Owings, or Lowrie) if I needed to find one in the end game. (and there are far more playable 2B so very few extra SS will be used as a MI this year)

UncleBill
Major League Regular

#12 Post by UncleBill »

Great...Thanks Perry!

I think I will hold onto Walkers profit then and like you said just see what Tulo, Desmond, Hanley and Zobrist cost in the auction. I just like going stars and scrubs in this 14 team format generally speaking so I was probably falling in love with having a top SS on my roster.

I will definitely breathe easier the first 2 hours knowing I can pounce if any one price jumps out at me since I'll have a few more hitting dollars at my disposal.