Trade Choo for Jansen, Benoit and Revere?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
ChicoEscuela

Trade Choo for Jansen, Benoit and Revere?

#1 Post by ChicoEscuela »

10 –team 5x5 mixed redraft. I was offered Jansen, Benoit and Revere for Choo. I think it favors me, but still wonder if I should do it because of my position in the standings. I’m 15 SB from gaining a point, so Revere won’t make up that diff by himself. But he would help me hold off the guy behind me because he’s the one trading him. I’m not using Choo now anyway, so Revere would probably replace A Jax.

Biggest concern is pitching. I’ve been using only 2 RPs and keeping a solid core of 7 SPs that over the last month have been lowering my WHIP/ERA plus getting Ws and Ks. I’ve gained 6 pts in Wins and am only 2 Ws from the top spot. I'm also closing in on more gains in WHIP, ERA and Ks. Benoit and Jansen will help my SVs - I have 45 and the 3 ahead of me have 51, 55, 58, so I may be able to gain 3 points, but that's going to cost me by taking away from my SP stats.

Would you make this trade? Here's my roster:

C - Santana, Montero
1B - Goldschmidt
2B - Pedroia
3B - Headley
SS - A Escobar
CO - Rizzo
MI - Zobrist
OF - Rios, A Jones, Brantley, A Jackson, R Davis
UT - K Davis
BN - Zimmerman, Choo

P - Sale, Sanchez, Cobb, Fister, Odorizzi, Lohse, Quintana, C Allen, Robertson
BN - Dickey, Garza, McCarthy, Young

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Trade Choo for Jansen, Benoit and Revere?

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Three useful players for a guy who's riding my pine? Where do I sign up?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Just to comment on the saves -- without knowing if it's a daily league and you can have all 4 CL active and still cycle in the starters, adding two means you have a realistic shot at one point, not three. Right now, a 10 save difference is really 15 as we're 2/3rds through the season. Each new closer can be assumed to get 6-7 saves so you're adding 12-14. Strange stuff may happen but from a practical sense, you're looking at one point.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

ChicoEscuela

#4 Post by ChicoEscuela »

Thanks Todd - that's a little clearer when you point it out that way. I went a step further and looked at who the teams ahead of me have as closers, and they all have three decent ones. So it's not worth filling two starter positions (potentially 4 starts because it's not a daily lineup league) with two relievers. I have to admit that's outstanding value for Choo but this seems to be one of those cases where the needs don't fit the trade. Now if I could turn around and flip two of the relievers for another need, then I would do it.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Todd Zola wrote:Just to comment on the saves -- without knowing if it's a daily league and you can have all 4 CL active and still cycle in the starters, adding two means you have a realistic shot at one point, not three. Right now, a 10 save difference is really 15 as we're 2/3rds through the season. Each new closer can be assumed to get 6-7 saves so you're adding 12-14. Strange stuff may happen but from a practical sense, you're looking at one point.
Valid perspective.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#6 Post by alleyoops »

I'd do the deal. A couple of things the closers give that haven't been mentioned is help in ERA and WHIP, depth at closer, and flexibility. The value you're getting is much higher than what you're giving, and the 2 guys you have to drop (assuming a fixed roster size) aren't worth much.