Possible keeper league trades...

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
kevvybrown

Possible keeper league trades...

#1 Post by kevvybrown »

My team currently sits at the bottom of a 5x5 keeper league, where we keep 5 players year to year, and with Allen Craig's utter disappointment and my draft looking good before the season started but now an unmitigated disaster, I'm stuck with only 4 real keeper eligible players. They are:

Mike Trout, Carlos Gomez, David Price and Madison Bumgarner

My current 5th keeper I guess would be Matt Adams which may not look bad by season's end.

However, I have sold off a few pieces to stockpile some picks for next year, my next step is up in the air:

I've got 2 separate offers for David Price right now.

One would land me Jason Kipnis(this isn't actually formally offered yet but it's in the works), it still doesn't address adding a 5th keeper to my roster, but it does mean that of the 4 at least 3 are position players, and Kipnis seems like a fine bounce back bet next year thanks to the nagging injury this year.

The other one would land me Starlin Castro and Zack Greinke(which is a hard offer that is currently sitting on my team page). Greinke is certainly a keeper quality arm but a downgrade from Price, and Castro could theoretically be a 5th keeper option.

Or do I just stand pat and keep Price/Adams?

I'm kind of leaning to the Castro/Greinke move...but feel free to tell me I'm stupid.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Possible keeper league trades...

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Question-- with the stockpiling of picks, is there a chance you draft a player that will be keeper quality next season?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Neither of those offers thrill me - I think you should be getting more or just keeping Price - what if he lands in an even better spot?

I would at least wait until you see if/where gets traded

I would rather keep him than not get what I think is markedly better

kevvybrown

#4 Post by kevvybrown »

Todd Zola wrote:Question-- with the stockpiling of picks, is there a chance you draft a player that will be keeper quality next season?
Best reference I can make is this was the first round of our draft last year after keepers were input:

David Ortiz
Mark Trumbo
Ian Kinsler
Pedro Alvarez
Greg Holland
Elvis Andrus
Kenley Jansen
Aroldis Chapman
Anibal Sanchez
Mat Latos
Alex Cobb
Josh Donaldson

EDIT: Now realizing you were sort of asking a different question. I have 2 first rounders now so I would hope the answer is yes.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

The other thing you can do is look at the teams and see who has more than 5 keeper quality players and assume they will be thrown back.

Or, if it is allowed, deal them a draft pick for one of them and upgrade keepers that way in the off-season.

But I agree with PVH -- neither deal moves the needle for me
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I think yesterday gave you your answer.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams