Dropping Verlander, need advice on a pickup

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
tybs

Dropping Verlander, need advice on a pickup

#1 Post by tybs »

12 team, 5 X 5 roto redraft league. Can't take Verlander any longer and I don't have room to stash him, so I've decided to part ways with him. I've hung with him this long, but he has pretty much singlehandedly cost me eight points in ERA and WHIP over the past month and I really don't see him turning things around. I was offered Roark for him two weeks ago and couldn't pull the trigger. Needless to say, that offer is no longer on the table. I am currently sitting one point out of first place due to strong power, speed and closers. The following SPs are FAs: Floyd, Arrieta, Duffy, Harang, Milone, Vargas, Burnett and Morton. I like Morton, Vargas and Harang best of the group. Any thoughts on who to pick up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Captain Hook

Re: Dropping Verlander, need advice on a pickup

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

tybs wrote:12 team, 5 X 5 roto redraft league. Can't take Verlander any longer and I don't have room to stash him, so I've decided to part ways with him. I've hung with him this long, but he has pretty much singlehandedly cost me eight points in ERA and WHIP over the past month and I really don't see him turning things around. I was offered Roark for him two weeks ago and couldn't pull the trigger. Needless to say, that offer is no longer on the table. I am currently sitting one point out of first place due to strong power, speed and closers. The following SPs are FAs: Floyd, Arrieta, Duffy, Harang, Milone, Vargas, Burnett and Morton. I like Morton, Vargas and Harang best of the group. Any thoughts on who to pick up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Well you can pretty much look at the existing numbers and the projections for ROS and see how they line up.

I would steer clear of Harang - his numbers have been steadily detioriating since his strong start. I also think Milone's only advantage is that he pitches for a winning team - he is not a good strikeout pitcher and his ERA is rising

Vargas isn't sexy but he is consistent - Morton may be the NL version of that but the Pirates aren't winning as many games
Floyd is decent but the Braves are a HR or miss team
Duffy has the most upside but you will get a great game like his last one and the occasional stinkers - inconsistency of young pitchers.

I haven't looked at all of those pitchers so aside from my thoughts I can't talk you out of Morton or Vargas but do suggest you look at the K/9 and K/BB of those available as well as the curve of their WHIP