Rebuilding trade option

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
twinkies

Rebuilding trade option

#1 Post by twinkies »

10 teams, 13 active hitters, 9 active pitchers, 4 bench spots, 1 dl slot, 5 player keeper league.

So, I just joined this league and inhereted a lemon. I'm in a solid last place to start the season and I don't see the light. With so many active players, there's nowhere to hide bad players. I'm thinking about the following two deals in an effort to rebuild for next season.

I have a chance to trade Youk and Halladay for Braun and Scott Baker. Do I take it?

The other one is to get McLouth for Ibanez + some more value. Is McLouth a keeper?

Mickey4081

Re: Rebuilding trade option

#2 Post by Mickey4081 »

I'd be interested in seeing your entire roster before making any moves. We're only in the second week of the season and you're already giving up?

twinkies

#3 Post by twinkies »

Here's my roster. I had to trade away my 8th and 9th pick just to get a few decent keepers (Webb and Halladay). That, and I had Morneau and nobody else in the top 50. Tough hand.

Ivan Rodriguez (will dump as soon as Mauer is back)
Justin Morneau
Jose Lopez
Kevin Youkilis
Rafael Furcal
Stephen Drew
Carlos Guillen
Raul Ibanez
Mark DeRosa
David DeJesus
Elijah Dukes
Denard Span
Adam LaRoche
Justin Upton
Milton Bradley
Joe Mauer - DL

Roy Halladay
Ricky Nolasco
Francisco Cordero
Brandon Morrow
Kevin Slowey
Huston Street
Paul Maholm
Armando Galarraga
Chris Young
Brandon Webb

Mickey4081

#4 Post by Mickey4081 »

With that team, I'd take both of those deals. Your outfield does need some help and Ryan Braun is and will be a perennial first round pick. Youk is tough to give up but I don't think he's capable of putting up the overall across the board numbers that Braun will bring.

Ibanez offers good production across the board but is a leadfoot, so , McClouth would be an upgrade. Ibanez is definitely not a keeper.

Is McClouth a keeper? Borderline in a 10 team league. If he produces equal to last season in 2009 then I would lean towards a definite keeper for 2010.

twinkies

#5 Post by twinkies »

Thanks for the input. I'll pursue both deals.

odysseus81

#6 Post by odysseus81 »

SP is obviously your teams strength...I would also take those trades. I am not saying blow the team up, because you have some decent pieces to work with, but whatever you can do to set yourself up for next year is smart. That team is certainly not one that will be competitive this season (on paper). I enjoy rebuilding projects...you can't do any worse than the previous owner..right? =)

Hambowen

#7 Post by Hambowen »

Both deals for sure.

If you know your team cannot compete then you should dump from the moment you can. In deeper Keeper leagues you can decide to dump before the draft since your keeper roster does not add up to the other players.

Being honest with yourself about your chances and being the first to dump can yield some very positive results for a rebuilding team.

Based on your team I would goal to get another first round talent hitter to go with Braun. Closers are great dump players to have. Cordero and Morrow are not keeper worthy closers but will have lots of value to competing teams that need to move up in saves so they will be great chips later on in the season.