Ryan's CBS AL-Only Analysts League Team

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
deansdaddy

Ryan's CBS AL-Only Analysts League Team

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

I have been meaning to post my roster for the CBS AL-Only league that I am representing MB in this year - but just haven't gotten around to it. So today I am going to post that team and the draft results and as the season goes along I will periodically post some of the adds and drops.

Here is a link to the draft results: http://splnex-al.baseball.cbssports.com/draft/results

Here is a link to the league standings page: http://splnex-al.baseball.cbssports.com/standings

deansdaddy

Re: Ryan's CBS AL-Only Analysts League Team

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

Okay here is the team I built on draft day:

5 - Jacoby Ellsbury - $34 - My first buy and the 5th player purchased. Trout and Miggy went for $43 each. I wanted a 5 category player to build around and Ellsbury was the guy.

31 - Chris Sale - $27 - I was patient as a lot of bats came off the board, but I was sitting on Sale as my SP1 target and was unfortunately forced to go the extra couple bucks after almost landing him at $23. I was in on Jose Abreu and let him go at $21 - wished I had gone higher.

36 - Avisail Garcia - $16 - Got caught holding the bag on Garcia, but at a price I could live with. Unfortunately he is out for the year with a shoulder injury now.

51 - Koji Uehara - $19 - Price enforced and landed him at $19. Wanted a solid No. 1 closer and got one.

55 - Norichika Aoki - $22 - Paid more than I really wanted to, but he was still below my listed value.

59 - Mike Napoli - $19 - 1B was drying up, so I went the extra buck on Napoli. Illustrates why I should have pushed a little more on Abreu.

78 - Ian Kinsler - $23 - Again was forced to pay a couple extra bucks after almost getting him at $19, which I would have liked more.

100 - Kelly Johnson - $10 - Needed some pop and some versatility.
112 - Drew Smyly - $12 - Slight overpay for MB fav
130 - Jesse Crain - $5 - Came in at $5 and they let me have him - hoping he can claim closer role once he gets healthy.
133 - David Freese - $11 - Needed a 3B and like the price for Freese who is hitting in the middle of Angels lineup.
140 - Matt Joyce - $6 - Needed some power and loved the price on Joyce as my OF4
149 - Dan Straily - $11 - Another fav who fit into my budget.
176 - Garrett Richards - $4 - Like Richards and a nice price
182 - Jarrod Parker - $8 - Loved this buy when I made it. Unfortunately lost for the year.
183 - Matt Davidson - $4 - My CI on draft day - I will have to wait for him to get called up to earn his salary.
201 - Jon Schoop - $2 - My MI - made the team and could turn out to be a steal.
208 - Hector Santiago - $5 - MB fav
209 - Robbie Grossman - $2 - Was surprised they let me have him at $2.
211 - Cody Allen - $5 - Almost had him at $3, but spent some surplus to land a closer in waiting.
230 - Eduardo Nunez - $1 - Needed a SS, Nunez didn't even make roster, but could resurface in Minn now.
249 - JP Arencibia - $2 - Got a bonus here when Soto blew out his knee post draft.

Reserve Picks - Keppinger, T Milone, D Ross, Nate Frieman, Ed Escobar, S Marcum, D Hultzen (whoops)

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Pickups so far this season:

4/12/14 Ramos, Cesar RP TB - Won at $1
4/2/14 Punto, Nick SS OAK - Won at $0 Escobar, Eduardo SS MIN - Dropped
4/1/14 Peacock, Brad SP HOU - Won at $1
3/31/14 Wilson, Josh 2B TEX - Won at $0
3/30/14 Kelly, Don LF DET - Won at $0 Freiman, Nate 1B OAK - Dropped
3/27/14 Nieto, Adrian C CHW - Won at $0 Ross, David C BOS - Dropped
3/25/14 Duffy, Danny SP KC - Won at $0 Marcum, Shaun SP CLE - Dropped
3/23/14 Maurer, Brandon SP SEA - Won at $0 Parker, Jarrod SP OAK - Dropped
3/20/14 Keuchel, Dallas SP HOU - Won at $0 Hultzen, Danny SP SEA - Dropped

My Roster as it stands:

C - Pierzynski, Arencbia
2B - Kinsler
3B - Freese
SS - Punto (2B,3B)
MI - Schoop (3B)
CI - D Kelly (OF)
OF - Ellsbury, Aoki, Grossman, Joyce, K Johnson (1B, 2B)
UT - Josh Wilson
RES - Nieto, Nunez, Davidson
DL - A Garcia, J Keppinger

SP - Sale, Straily, Smyly, Santiago, Richards, Milone, Keuchel
RP - Uehara, Allen
RES - Duffy, Maurer, Peacock, Ramos
DL - Crain

Parker was the biggest loss so far to the roster and as of today and Garcia injury has forced Johnson into the OF and Wilson into lineup. I am in second place with 88.5 points.

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

Okay - I made a couple moves this week.

I added:

C.J. Cron, 1B, LAA $0 and dropped Brad Peacock

Mike Montgomery, P, TB and dropped Cesar Ramos

Cron's chances of getting a callup sooner than expected have been helped by the injury to Josh Hamilton and the struggles of David Freese and Raul Ibanez. Cron could platoon at DH with Ibanez immediately and also help out at 1B to give Pujols some time at DH. I decided to make room for a bat with upside and cut loose Peacock who turned out ended up getting a spot in the Hou rotation at Luke Harrel's expense.

Montgomery is one of three TB options that I covered in this week's AL or Nothing. I decided to take a shoit on Montgomery. Ironically Nate Karns and Enny Romero both are still available for now.

Other teams pickups:

Brad Peacock got picked up by the Harrell owner for $1 who dropped the later. Guess I did him a favor.

Grant Green (2b LAA) was grabbed for $4 and Francisco Cervelli was cut. Cervelli was placed on the 60 DL and John Ryan Murphy was called up to be the backup to Brian McCann.

James Jones (OF/DH SEA) for $1 and Jonathan Diaz (3B TOR)m dropped. Diaz' time is up with the return of Jose Reyes. Jones was recalled by the Mariners for OF/DH depth to offset the injury to Logan Morrison. He doesn't figure to play much right away.

Currently I am sitting in second place with 79.5 points behind Derek Cary with 85.5 points.