don't want to punt closers

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
egizzi

don't want to punt closers

#1 Post by egizzi »

NL only, keeper league
9 team
4 x 4 with saves as a category

I did it again. In the draft, I managed to not get a bonafide closer. I should have really assessed how many were available in the draft and overbid for one of them. But I didn't. I got stuck with JJ Hoover, was momentarily gleeful and we know how that turned out. I have zero points and am not interested in punting the category. Right now I'm in fifth. And MOST of the handcuffable closers are gone. The only one left I guess are Hector Rondon and Drew Storen. Guys in my league suck up handcuffers like cocaine on a platter.

So now I have no closer, though I have a couple of longshots.
I have Carlos Martinez for $2, but maybe he'll be a starter at some point
I have Aarron Barrett for $1 (I picked him up the same transaction day that Storen was dropped)

I can spare a starter because I have Cole Hamels coming back soon. For trade bait, I have Marco Estrada, as it's the last year I can keep him in my league and he's at a keeper price of $8.

Oh, and brilliant boy here thought that Gaby Sanchez would get most of the at bats in pittsburgh, and how's that working out.

So, I need a closer and a 1B

There's a guy in the league that for some reason didn't draft many starters. And he has 4 1B for some odd reason. Strange roster.

The 1B he has available for trading are Ike Davis ($5) and Mike Olt ($3, and 1B eligible in our league)
The closers I'm eyeing are Cishek ($5, and last year of his contract so he needs to trade him at some point this season), Brothers ($11) and Papelbon ($24)
Obviously, I prefer Cishek

So I'm contemplating making him an offer. Opinions on:

Estrada for Cishek and Davis
Estrada for Cishek and Olt
Martinez for Cishek and Davis
Martinez for Cishek and Olt

Should I even be contemplating doing this? Is it too early? Will I be digging myself a deep category grave in saves I can't get out of later if I don't act now?

Captain Hook

Re: don't want to punt closers

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

I would hold Martinez and try and make one of those Estrada trades