stats by month?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
ernie.whitt

stats by month?

#1 Post by ernie.whitt »

Is anyone aware of a place to find MLB stats by month?
Basically, I'm curious whether certain stats tend to be accumulated more at certain times of year. Specifically, I'm wondering if SB more common in the warmer months, cooler months, or whether weather really doesn't play factor into them.

Has anyone considered this, and/or looked into it?

Thanks,
Dwayne (first time poster)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: stats by month?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

you can get monthly splits at Fangraphs or baseball-reference.com

I actually looked into this as part of a study I did for BaseballHQ and SB are remarkably consistent month to month.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

Re: stats by month?

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

ernie.whitt wrote:Is anyone aware of a place to find MLB stats by month?
Basically, I'm curious whether certain stats tend to be accumulated more at certain times of year. Specifically, I'm wondering if SB more common in the warmer months, cooler months, or whether weather really doesn't play factor into them.

Has anyone considered this, and/or looked into it?

Thanks,
Dwayne (first time poster)
Welcome, Dwayne! :)

I had always assumed that SBs were a warm weather stat as well, but as Todd pointed out, our conceptions (or in this case misconceptions) don't always jibe with the facts.

I would assume however, that HRs tend to be suppressed in the Northeast and Great Lakes areas during April and September. It is quite cold in those places at that time of year. I'm not sure if the cold makes the ball travel any different, but I know it makes it a heck of a lot harder to hit and gives the pitchers a nice advantage. If any stat were weather dependent I would think it would be the HR. I also think that pitching in general is better in April and September than in the 4 months in between. I think that this is one of the factors as to why the old adage of "runs are at a premium in the post season" exists.