Keeper Help - Bad Draft, have trade offers

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
MaestroJay

Keeper Help - Bad Draft, have trade offers

#1 Post by MaestroJay »

5x5 Roto 1st year Keeper

6 keepers.

I had a bad draft, due to computer problems. So my pitching is struggling.

Have made some WW moves since.

C - Rosario/Lucroy
1B - C.Davis
2B - Gyorko
3B - Prado
SS - Andrus
Ci - Freeman
MI - A.Ramirez
OF - Ellsbury/Rios/Pence/Martin/De Aza
UTIL - Valbuena
BN - Gurrero/Bonifacio
DL - Kemp

P - Hamels/Wilson/Lackey
P - Brothers/O'Day/Melancon
P - Allen/Ventura/Scheppers
BN - Hudson/Straily
------------------------------------
I've been offered Grienke for my Ellsbury and Swisher/M.Cain for Freeman/Ventura

My lack of experience in Keeper is having me confused on how to proceed.As far as setting myself up for this year and future years.

Swisher/Cain owner

C - Montero/Arencibia
1B - Ortiz
2B - Infante
3B - Alvarez
SS - Rollins
CI - Seager
MI - Jeter
OF - Braun/Puig/Werth/Crisp/Crawford
UTIL - Swisher
BN - Pagan/Dunn/Ozuna

P - Kershaw/Verlander/Chapman
P - Cain/Romo/Fister
P - Henderson/Kuroda/Haren
BN - Minor

------------------------------

Grienke owner

C - Ramos/Gomes
1B - Martinez
2B - Kipnis
3B - Miggy
SS - Reyes
CI - Murphy
MI - Kinsler
OF - Jennings/Calhoun/Eaton/Venable/Pollock
UTIL - Arcia
BN - Abreu/Springer/Owings

P - Strasburg/Grienke/Zimmerman
P - Nathan/Chisek/Masterson
P - Kluber/Gallardo/Tillman
BN - M.Gonzalez

Captain Hook

Re: Keeper Help - Bad Draft, have trade offers

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

FIRST and most important - Take a Deep Breath, Exhale, repeat and Stay Calm

You don't want to flush all your hard work, keepers and draft (despite the problems) for what might be a quick fix ... because it might NOT

True Tale from the past - years ago in my AL only keeper league started in 1986 one of our mates thought he had a terrible draft and proceeded to make several "rebuilding" trades and indeed got several good players and contracts for the following season. Without making a trade his drafted team would have finished in third place in the league so he sat out the whole year for nothing, losing money in addition. As Commissioner I got a rule passed that there would be NO trades in April - a cooling off period that would enable all the owners a period to assess what they really might have and not deal on emotion.

But back to your team - I think you are overlooking several factors that have upgraded your pitching staff which is now very playable given your great offense

Scheppers is now in the starting rotation for Texas and likely to do well - he has incredibly filthy stuff and Mike Maddux did wonders with him last spring training and we all so those results

Ventura is the talk of spring training down here hitting 100+ mph several times each game and is now in the #3 slot for the Royals rotation

Straily is vastly undervalued - check Todd's projections for him

Tim Hudson - is pitching well this spring for the Giants and that ballpark should be very good for him (in addition he pitches in pitcher friendly Dodger Stadium and Petco Park in San Diego - okay don't pitch him in Coors Canaveral)

In short I would NOT make either trade ... wouldn't even consider them if this was my team - you can always trade later - IF you need to

Take another Deep Breath

MaestroJay

#3 Post by MaestroJay »

The reason i feel like I "have" to trade now is the lack of guarantees in my pitching down the road. Or this year. As right now, Hamels and maaaybe Brothers or Ventura are the names I would keep.

Not to mention, the handcuff of Freeman/C.Davis creates problems for me. in terms of top names at positions i am potentially weak at offensively from a keeper perspective being unavailable in later year drafts (C,2B,3B,SS,MI).
------------------------------------
Nate Jones or Josh Fields vs O"Day/Cody Allen?

Santiago, Kelly, T.Wood,Lohse,Gee,Eovaldi,Arroyo,E.Ram,Gausman are available and A.Wood,Quintana are on Waivers (have 6 priority claim). Any you like more than what i have?

Revere(wire claim needed),Blackman,Gennett,Lake, Davidson,Plouffe,Chisenhall,Asche,Russell,Schoop, Soler,
Bryant,Singleton

Do you like any better than Valbuena (Kemp DL grab) or Bonifacio? Some are more keeper based than short term, and don't know what 6 I am going to keep yet.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Do YOU think you have a chance to be in the money this year?

MaestroJay

#5 Post by MaestroJay »

Looking at Mayberry numbers for the first time - not counting role changes at pitchers, and including Kemp but not Valbuena (Valbuena gets dropped when Kemp gets off DL).

PX - 41
Rspeed = 47
xBA = 36
PA = 71

ERA - 44
K - 36
SV - 10
IP - 21

Without knowing the comparative #'s based on roster size. Hard to say for certain. However, looks like:

Get another reasonable AVG bat - dropping Bonifacio/Guerrero for someone on ww or a trade

Address saves - Likelyhood of O'Day/Melancon/Allen or Scheppers moving back to pen for this?

Strikeout Arm/Innings eater - Scheppers moving to rotation solve this?

Anything you address now, or give it to mid may and see where i am?

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote: Anything you address now, or give it to mid may and see where i am?

I will repeat my question - Do YOU think you have a chance to be in the money this year?

Personally if it was my team I don't make a trade at this point (unless heavily in your favor)

When is your first FAAB or free agent period?
I would address minor changes via free agents BUT be careful who you are throwing away

MaestroJay

#7 Post by MaestroJay »

I'm a pessimist so i can't say my team will win/money.As I don't think anyone can this early.Lack of saves, and lack of a track record with my pitching.Matt Kemps health, and any potential regression to Chris Davis. Not to mention, 2B/3B/SS depth or flexibility if an injury occurs.

It's a daily lineup league without a move limit.

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

I think you are being too quick to judge.

TRY and solve the problems internally unless there is a trade that makes sense BUT you don't have much to trade

Revisit in a month (preferably in Platinum Forum)