Trouts Value in an AL only Auction?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Trav The Ump

Trouts Value in an AL only Auction?

#1 Post by Trav The Ump »

11 maybe 12 team AL only auction where because of a team leaving he'll be re-entering the draft pool. For reference last year Cabrera went for $51, but we keep 12 so inflation will be high. I don't know it until rosters are in on the 23rd but it can be pretty high.

$260 budget, so I can see him going $55ish...what is outlandish? I know he went $45 in LABR but thats without inflation. Just spitballin'

Thanks!

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Trouts Value in an AL only Auction?

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

55 is not unreasonable ... 11 4x4 AL Ultra keeper ...last year, Miggy set the ALL TIME record in our league ... 59 units! If you look at what is available and who has units ... outlandish is 60. Anything under that can be justified.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Trav The Ump wrote:11 maybe 12 team AL only auction where because of a team leaving he'll be re-entering the draft pool. For reference last year Cabrera went for $51, but we keep 12 so inflation will be high. I don't know it until rosters are in on the 23rd but it can be pretty high.

$260 budget, so I can see him going $55ish...what is outlandish? I know he went $45 in LABR but thats without inflation. Just spitballin'

Thanks!
If I were the new team, or any other team that is already looking to play for 2015, I would bid WHATEVER it took to get him. I would then put him on the open market as soon as the auction ended. As soon as teams are playing under the inseason cap, the prices paid at auction are of little consequence. 1st good deal that came my way, he'd be gone.

Beware of this strategy. If you are playing for this year, you need to move on as you simply won't be able to compete.

Trav The Ump

#4 Post by Trav The Ump »

ARC, interesting strategy. Never been done in our league. Once the keeper lists are in and the dollars remaining are setup and I can make a full sheet I'll be interested to see what the math says he's worth versus what I'm willing to pay for him.

AllstonRockCity

#5 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Trav The Ump wrote:ARC, interesting strategy. Never been done in our league. Once the keeper lists are in and the dollars remaining are setup and I can make a full sheet I'll be interested to see what the math says he's worth versus what I'm willing to pay for him.
To get a feel of what someone might pay for him under this scenario, you could plug your in-season cap into the CVRC rather than your auction cap. See what number pops out for Trout then.

I bet it is close to $60

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

AllstonRockCity wrote:
Trav The Ump wrote:11 maybe 12 team AL only auction where because of a team leaving he'll be re-entering the draft pool. For reference last year Cabrera went for $51, but we keep 12 so inflation will be high. I don't know it until rosters are in on the 23rd but it can be pretty high.

Thanks!
If I were the new team, or any other team that is already looking to play for 2015, I would bid WHATEVER it took to get him. I would then put him on the open market as soon as the auction ended. As soon as teams are playing under the inseason cap, the prices paid at auction are of little consequence.
I agree with this to the extent that Trout would offer the opportunity for a two way shot - if the rest of the draft was perfect a team could contend and cash and if things didn't go perfectly they should sell Trout and get a HUGE haul in return.

ONE cautionary note however you must be aware of the salary cap rules for your league!
I have seen people try this and then be amazed they can't move their $51 Prince Fielder because contending teams CAN'T fit him under the league's salary cap. As always KNOW the rules

Trav The Ump

#7 Post by Trav The Ump »

Captain Hook wrote: ONE cautionary note however you must be aware of the salary cap rules for your league!
I have seen people try this and then be amazed they can't move their $51 Prince Fielder because contending teams CAN'T fit him under the league's salary cap. As always KNOW the rules
I'm the Commish Cap'n so no worries there, we have no in season cap as we've never had any big issues with dump trades altering the league. Our guys all know each other outside of the league so no one wants to just give someone a championship. To much pride on the line. Lol.

I'm leaning to just buying him and not worrying about it. I've got $115 for 6 bats and 6 pitchers. I'll need a closer but even if I have to go $60 I think my offense will be strong enough to carry a fairly weak pitching staff. I'm pretty active managing my pitchers in season so there could be a chance to sweep batting and than just manage the arms.