Live Tracking of March 9 DC Express 8 PM ET

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Live Tracking of March 9 DC Express 8 PM ET

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

Re: Live Tracking of March 9 DC Express 8 PM ET

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I just have this feeling that Jones is overdue for an injury. The cosmos doesn't like guys this healthy for this long. Yin and Yang.

;)

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Seeing the other MI's that have been drafted, Reyes looks like a great value, if not an absolute steal.

Is he getting older? Sure. Is he 'injury prone'? No more so than he has ever been IMO. His career started out that way. I don't know why everyone chose to ignore that for a few years.

great value

who's taking shots with me? ;)

marknym

#4 Post by marknym »

The guy with the top pick reached for Hosmer and Segura 3rd is terrible.

marknym

#5 Post by marknym »

I say Todd takes a P next... if they're available, K Jansen or Rosenthal.

marknym

#6 Post by marknym »

or... Holland. :D

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

And here's the end result. I like the starting 23 just fine. The reserves feel light mainly because I grabbed 2 prospects early, plus Pacheco who should get C eligibility. This may work out great or it may leave me without reserves if I get early injuries. I also need Kendrys to sign and play mostly full-time.

C Alex Avila, John Jaso (Hank Conger, Tim Federowicz)

CI Mark Trumbo, Aramis Ramirez, Mitch Moreland (Kendrys Morales, Maikel Franco, Jordan Pacheco

MI Ben Zobrist, Jose Reyes, Anthony Rendon (Tommy La Stella, Jeff Keppinger, Chris Getz

OF Adam Jones, Carlos Gomez, Kole Calhoun, Michael Brantley, Nate Schierholtz (Chris Denorfia, Scott Van Slyke, Ryan Sweeney)

UT Kelly Johnson

SP Jered Weaver, Jon Lester, Hisashi Iwakuma, Drew Smyly, Dan Straily, Nathan Eovaldi, Zach McAllister (Jason Vargas, Jake Odorizzi, Jacob Turner, Robbie Erlin, Jeremy Guthrie, David Phelps, Chris Capuano, Robbie Ross, Aaron Harang, Tom Koehler)

RP Greg Holland, David Robertson (Cody Allen, Junichi Tazawa, Tanner Scheppers, Nick Vincent, J.J. Hoover)
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#8 Post by viper »

Thanks for showing this.

As I approach round 30, this give me an idea of how the final 20 rounds can go. I have done NFBC drafts often times in the past but venturing into the player pool after round 30 is a very new experience. I wonder just how many teams went on some type of autopilot for the final few rounds. It looks like it takes about 30 minutes for each 5 rounds (you were ending round 20 right about at the two hour mark). How long did the whole draft take?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

viper wrote:Thanks for showing this.

As I approach round 30, this give me an idea of how the final 20 rounds can go. I have done NFBC drafts often times in the past but venturing into the player pool after round 30 is a very new experience. I wonder just how many teams went on some type of autopilot for the final few rounds. It looks like it takes about 30 minutes for each 5 rounds (you were ending round 20 right about at the two hour mark). How long did the whole draft take?
4:45 - at least one squad was on auto, maybe a second at the end

Avodrake

#10 Post by Avodrake »

Todd can you share your thoughts on selecting Adam Jones over several others that have higher Masterball projected $$ values such as C. Davis and Ellsbury?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

Avodrake wrote:Todd can you share your thoughts on selecting Adam Jones over several others that have higher Masterball projected $$ values such as C. Davis and Ellsbury?
There's a big difference between projected values and a draft ranking list.

Especially in this format where you can't make any in-season pickups, I was looking for more reliability with my first pick - hence Jones.

I actually almost took Ellsbury but thought there was at least a chance he would slip to the 2nd and if he didn't, Gomez likely would.

If this were the NFBC Main event, I would have definitely gone with Ellsbury for the upside.

Avodrake

#12 Post by Avodrake »

Thanks Todd - understood. I am a new subscriber and based on your answer that you are looking to avoid risk in this format with your pick, what risk factors if any are built into the $$ projections?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Avodrake wrote:Thanks Todd - understood. I am a new subscriber and based on your answer that you are looking to avoid risk in this format with your pick, what risk factors if any are built into the $$ projections?
Playing time risk as well as regressing BABIP, HR/FB and a few other things.

The profiles are the better manner to access risk - or at least my thought on the risk.

With no FAAB, DC is a war of attrition. To win the 125K in the Classic, you need to make a few dart throws.