Keeper Help

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
xtrme98

Keeper Help

#1 Post by xtrme98 »

Need some thoughts on my keepers. Can only keep TWO of this list

Adrian Beltre
Prince Fielder
Jacoby Ellsbury
Dustin Pedroia

I want to keep Ellsbury for the speed, but I just worry about his injuries. Two big boppers of Prince and Beltre would be nice, but I worry about the same team thing. Pedroia is ok, but I dont think hes in the conversation among the other 3 guys.
What do you guys think??

Captain Hook

Re: Keeper Help

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Can we get some league particulars?

Trav The Ump

#3 Post by Trav The Ump »

Fielder is a no for me, I think his stats can be found easily. I'd probably go Ellsbury/ Beltre myself. Most of Jacoby's injuries have been of the freak variety and not the "my body is breaking down the same spot over and over" variety.

AllstonRockCity

#4 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Trav The Ump wrote:Fielder is a no for me, I think his stats can be found easily. I'd probably go Ellsbury/ Beltre myself. Most of Jacoby's injuries have been of the freak variety and not the "my body is breaking down the same spot over and over" variety.
I disagree with this statement, somewhat.

This lineup looks like it should be the best one in the AL. Runs should be scored in bunches. If you can hit an average of 27.5 HRs per year in Comerica, 35, heck 40, shouldn't be hard to reach in Arlington. I'm willing to be the AVG returns to the 300's as well in the more hitter friendly environs. Dude is a rock with a low of 569 ABs in the last 5 years.

Now, if you want to dock the fat guy some ABs from playing in the intense heat and humidity of July and August, I won't argue. Even then he had 624 ABs last year. Regress that 10% and you have 562ABs, which is below his low of the previous 5 years.

I say give the man 580 ABs easy and watch him go .312 87 38 115

How easy is that to find in the AL these days? MIggy and CDavis are the only 2 guys I can think of and I will take Fielder over CDavis every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Trav The Ump

#5 Post by Trav The Ump »

My argument would be another 1B and Beltre is better than Fielder and the dregs that are patrolling 3B this year. I'm assuming re-rostering Beltre would be difficult or not do-able.

AllstonRockCity

#6 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Trav The Ump wrote:My argument would be another 1B and Beltre is better than Fielder and the dregs that are patrolling 3B this year. I'm assuming re-rostering Beltre would be difficult or not do-able.
Fair enough.

My counter argument would be that it doesn't matter what position your stats come from, just that you get them.

What difference does it make if you have a $1 3B or a $1 1B? They are a $1 player either way.

UK BlueCat
Major League Veteran

#7 Post by UK BlueCat »

I see where Perry's coming from in regards to Beltre over Fielder but you were talking about Ellsbury's big caveat being injury risk and I would say I have the same concerns for Beltre much more than I do for Fielder.
Todd Easterling
UK BlueCats

xtrme98

#8 Post by xtrme98 »

The league is a keep 2 hitters and 1 pitcher or vice versa. My hitters are of those 3 basically because of league rules and value. I think Ellsbury is just too much of a "freak injury guy". IF he does stay healthy hes going to be a stud. But you can say the same thing about everyone in every sport. A fantasy team that sustains no injuries will most likely win their league every year. Injuries you cant plan for. Some guys you can grab late because they are injury prone. I just think the big boppers are the way to go. I don't know. I might as well flip a coin

AllstonRockCity

#9 Post by AllstonRockCity »

xtrme98 wrote:The league is a keep 2 hitters and 1 pitcher or vice versa. My hitters are of those 3 basically because of league rules and value. I think Ellsbury is just too much of a "freak injury guy". IF he does stay healthy hes going to be a stud. But you can say the same thing about everyone in every sport. A fantasy team that sustains no injuries will most likely win their league every year. Injuries you cant plan for. Some guys you can grab late because they are injury prone. I just think the big boppers are the way to go. I don't know. I might as well flip a coin
Have you read Todd's write up on Jacoby in the player profiles? If not, you should, it might just change your mind.

I feel that he's the only guy that can compete with Trout and Miggy for top earner in the AL, FWIW.