NFBC team advice

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
nedmunds
High-A

NFBC team advice

#1 Post by nedmunds »

Doing my first nfbc slow draft, and looking for any feedback/tips after 14 rounds. If you have any advice on holes/next steps I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

C: Ramos
CI: Encarnacion, Beltre, Rizzo
MI: Zobrist, Prado
OF: Granderson, Bourn (Zobrist, Prado)
UT: Ortiz
SP: Sale, Strasburg, Moore, Ryu
RP: Feliz

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: NFBC team advice

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

If you want to win the overall you need to address saves ASAP. If not another solid SP because you'll need to sweep the other pitching cats and Moore is a WHIP risk.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

nedmunds
High-A

#3 Post by nedmunds »

Top relievers left are Veras, Hawkins, Brothers, Soria, and all potential Astros closers. No 8th inning studs have been taken yet. How would you approach saves at this point? Try to load up on 8th inning guys? Grab two at the 15/16 turn?

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

nedmunds wrote:Top relievers left are Veras, Hawkins, Brothers, Soria, and all potential Astros closers. No 8th inning studs have been taken yet. How would you approach saves at this point? Try to load up on 8th inning guys? Grab two at the 15/16 turn?

What are you waiting for?
1) Veras IS the Cubs closer
2) Hawkins has been named the Rockies closer (despite many who think Rex Brothers will take over)

nedmunds
High-A

#5 Post by nedmunds »

An update after 30 rounds:

C: Ramos, Doumit, Conger
MI: Zobrist, Prado, Infante, B. Crawford
OF: Granderson, Bourn, R. Davis, Taveras, Schierholtz, Ozuna
SP: Sale, Strasburg, Ryu, Moore, Smyly, T. Wood, Odorizzi, Morton, Stults
RP: Feliz, Veras, Soria, Santos

Any tips for how to navigate the final part of the draft? What balance do most people strike on starters/relievers? Go for more potential upside break outs? How many total pitchers/hitters do most people try to end up with?

Thanks.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

nedmunds wrote:An update after 30 rounds:

C: Ramos, Doumit, Conger
MI: Zobrist, Prado, Infante, B. Crawford
OF: Granderson, Bourn, R. Davis, Taveras, Schierholtz, Ozuna
SP: Sale, Strasburg, Ryu, Moore, Smyly, T. Wood, Odorizzi, Morton, Stults
RP: Feliz, Veras, Soria, Santos

Any tips for how to navigate the final part of the draft? What balance do most people strike on starters/relievers? Go for more potential upside break outs? How many total pitchers/hitters do most people try to end up with?

Thanks.
Looks good but needs depth - fortunately you have lots of picks left

I don't like your catcher situation - Ramos the only starter and absent a trade neither Conger or Doumit or a perfect mix of the two are enough for C2 ............ is Josmil Pinto still available? Any starting catchers?

I like to have 25 hitters and 25 pitchers

You need more SP more matchup/home park plays and maybe some top prospects due to arrive this year
I would definitely add Scheppers to the very good Feliz/Soria combo and then find some other guys who might get chances (btw I would get Lindstrom right away if still available with word that Nate Jones is no lock - Matt was always my favorite second choice there (doesn't mean the Pale Hose think the same but...)

I think you need another 3B and yeah you have Prado but playing him at third means you have to play Crawford at MI - get another MI too.

Give us some lists and let's see if there are any standouts

nedmunds
High-A

#7 Post by nedmunds »

Not thrilled on catcher either, but they generally went very early in the draft, so I felt being strong elsewhere was worth it. I did get Ramos in the 11th round, which seemed like a bit of a steal at that point.

Top relievers left: Bell, Petit, Ziegler, Mujica, Scheppers, O'Day, Gregerson (and down from there on the ADP list). As for starters, we're in the 400-500 range ADP wise, 150-200 overall pitchers gone. Lindstrom went in the last round (29), not left anymore.

C: Ianette, Phegley, J. Montero (and everyone ranked below)
1B: Francisco, Konerko, McGehee, Wallace, Sanchez
2B: Franklin, Scutaro (and everyone out of the top 30)
SS: Everyone out of top 30
OF: There are a few left inside the top 100, but almost all 100 and below.

NorCalAtlFan
Major Leaguer

#8 Post by NorCalAtlFan »

your OF isn't any great shakes. i think you'll have to put prado there more than you think

i would disagree about adding scheppers. i don't think you have the roster flexibility.

looks like you went balls out on SP early, and have a nice rotation, but at the detriment of the offense.

i wouldn't feel too secure taking this team to battle as is. you have time to add the required depth that could make this team much better. you don't have too many dynamic players on offense(several good ones), so you have to hit on these late picks.

25-25 is overkill in my opinion. you have some guys with flexibility, and have a strong core SP group, i think you can get away with 28-22 offense/pitching.

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

nedmunds wrote:Not thrilled on catcher either, but they generally went very early in the draft, so I felt being strong elsewhere was worth it. I did get Ramos in the 11th round, which seemed like a bit of a steal at that point.

Top relievers left: Bell, Petit, Ziegler, Mujica, Scheppers, O'Day, Gregerson (and down from there on the ADP list). As for starters, we're in the 400-500 range ADP wise, 150-200 overall pitchers gone. Lindstrom went in the last round (29), not left anymore.

C: Ianette, Phegley, J. Montero (and everyone ranked below)
1B: Francisco, Konerko, McGehee, Wallace, Sanchez
2B: Franklin, Scutaro (and everyone out of the top 30)
SS: Everyone out of top 30
OF: There are a few left inside the top 100, but almost all 100 and below.
C - since you have Conger - Iannetta should be JOB 1 (some chance Phegley might displace or platoon with Flowers so I would add him too - but later)

CI - McGehee is starting 3B for Marlins so that is a plus; IIRC Francisco has 1b/3b eligibility (although only as many ABs as Reynolds gives him)

2B - Franklin has more upside; Scutaro has more AB - get both if possible

SS - screw top 30 ... is Owings gone? is Gregorius gone? is Nunez gone?

OF - lots more than 100 in play - are all Rockies gone - Dickerson, Stubbs, Blackmon, Barnes in that order
HOU? - Grossman and Hoes are starters

Tell me who is available not who isnt' available